97 Previa Bearing Failure After Axle Replacement

I have a 1997 Previa all wheel drive (AWD) that was diagnosed by Toyota dealer as needing a front axle replacement on one side. Within 48 hours of getting the repaired vehicle back, it started to make noise in the wheel assembly, and fearing a major system failure I had it towed in. While the car was on a hydraulic lift, I noted to the technician that the entire affected front wheel was wiggling loose sideways. Dealer now says the entire bearing has failed and needs replacement. Dealer is making the claim that this bearing failure had nothing to do with their axle repair and was simply failing on its own over time. They are charging me for the replacement parts at over $500.

A very knowledgeable mechanic friend of mine claims it is impossible that this is a bearing that was slowly failing. My friend claims that a bearing failure would have been seen by any mechanic at the time of axle replacement, because a bearing failure that takes place over time would create a fine white powder that would be all over everything as soon as the axle was removed from the bearing assembly.

On one web site, I see that for the AWD version of the Previa the bearing is not directly accessible, and you have to replace the entire hub assembly, which apparently includes the bearing. Is there any chance that a technician removing the axle from this assembly on the AWD version of 1997 Previa would fail to notice a bearing that was undergoing a slow failure over time?

I'm trying to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt here, but it seems to me that a catastrophic failure of a front bearing within 48 hours of the same side axle being replaced points 95% to an incorrectly installed axle, and not to a pre-existing failure in the bearing. But I don't have enough knowledge about this model of Previa to make a cogent argument to them.

I would appreciate insights on this from any experienced Toyota mechanics.

It is possible that the bearing was failing and that it ate itself within 48 hours BUT not real likely. Usually a failing hub assembly will give warnings that it is failing, Growling noises, strange braking feel as the bearings shift, whining noises at speed. The more possible scenario is that the bearing was damaged when the axle was removed. If they used an air hammer or impact driver to remove/replace the axle nut it is possible that the impacts brinelled the races and as soon as the bearing started turning it ground up the bearings. Have seen that happen more than once. Even one good hit with a hammer can do enough damage to shorten the bearing life.

NEVER seen anything like a white powder on the hundreds of hubs I have replaced.

Actually the hub contains two bearings. They usually share either a common inner or outer race or may share both inner and outer depending on the bearing used. As for if it would be noticed, That would depend on how they removed the axle. If they did the common method of removing the nut and dropping the lower ball joint to get the axle out then it may have been over-looked. BUT if they did ANY actual diagnostic work in determining that the axle was bad it should have been noticed. You would want to make sure the bearing isn't the actual cause of problems.

Since 90% of the FWD/AWD/4WD use the same type of bearings in the front it isn't hard to find this kind of info.

My best guess is that the old axle nut was removed using an impact driver then a hammer and wood block was used to drive the axle free from the hub. The combination could very well have damaged the bearings. However it would be difficult to prove this without taking the old bearing apart and cutting it open to see if the races had impact brinelled races.

I would take it to an independent shop and have them look it over. The Previa uses a pressed in double row bearing. You basically take the front steering knuckle/hub off, then disassemble the hub and press out the old bearing, press in the new one, install a new seal and dust protector. Then reinstall the knuckle/hub and you're done.

I show the bearings from 30 - 70 dollars depending on which exact part number you need. (ABS/non ABS, early design/late design)

Reply to
Steve W.

what he said.

very unlikely to be "gradual" degradation, if the bearing, it's more likely to be impact driver disassembly/bearing brinelling. that's usually preceded by serious whining noises before it gets loose though. suggest checking the new drive shaft is bolted up tight. if it wasn't, the bearing could have drifted loose. properly tightening the axle stub could pull it all back together, and if you're really lucky, remove the need to do any bearing replacement.

Reply to
jim beam

"W" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Did the dealer put the vehicle on the ground with the driveshaft removed? This will damage the wheel bearing.

They may have taken the car off the hoist while waiting for parts, but neglected to put the old shaft back again.

Reply to
Tegger

I've never seen this white powder either. I suspect that the mechanic may have been intent on changing the axle as quickly as possible and may have overlooked hub indications, or may have used overly aggressive means to get the axle in and out.

But, at the end of the day, you want your car back in good working condition. No matter what any of us think, the Toyota dealership may not agree. Unless you have proof and are willing to try to tough them out and sue them, you are dependent upon their good will. I suggest you try to work out a settlement agreement with them.

May work, may not.

Your other options are - just pay them to do it, find an independent who will do it, tow it home and do it yourself.

Reply to
hls

Reply to
jim beam

not necessarily. if the bearing separates, there may be a problem. but that doen't always happen - it is an interference fit afterall...

don't need the whole shaft even, just a retainer. large bolt and washers do the trick. as does an old shaft outer joint.

Reply to
jim beam