Timing belt bearing failure on 2000 Beetle 1.8t?

I posted here a couple days ago about my 2000 Beetle 1.8t with 70 k miles puttering like a diesel. I took it to the dealer and they were too booked up to take me until next week but by the sound they guessed it to be something loose, vibrating. I then took it to a VW tuner shop and he told me it sounded like the timing belt and to turn it off immediately because it might go at any time. It turned out to be a failed timing belt bearing and it was causing the timing belt to fray. I was really lucky that the timing belt didn't break because it was about to go!

The strange thing is, I had the water pump replaced under warranty about

5000 miles ago in Sept. at the dealer and they said the timing belt was still in good shape. The VW tuner guy, who just replaced the timing belt, said that the dealer should have recommended that I replace the timing belt when they replaced the water pump, since they have to take the timing belt off to replace the pump. They never did this! I'm the one who asked how my timing belt looked. The only recommendations they gave me was my front brake pads were getting low and they recommended the 60,000 mile service. Of course, when I called them today to ask about this, they claim they did recommend the timing belt change and I denied it. My invoice only indicates the recommendation for new front brakes and the 60,000 mile service which it says were declined.

Could the dealer have done something to cause the bearing failure when they replaced the water pump? The VW tuner guy said it's the first one he's ever seen.

Reply to
Gary D

replaced the water pump? The VW tuner guy said it's > the first one he's ever seen.

Mpffff... This dealer is not also a Ford dealer in southeaster PA is it?

All joking aside, it is possible, even likely that changing the water pump was a proximate cause to the bearing failure. But consider hat that bearing *not* failed *before* the belt, you would have gone a long way towards replacing your head and perhaps a cylinder or two when the belt failed. So count your blessings that you had a previous non-fatal failure.

Timing belts are to be replaced based on age and distance, whichever comes first. That is four (4) years-or-less or 60,000 miles-or-less (70,000 in some vehicles). That they can last longer is not relevent to the discussion. Lay off the dealer on this one, you dodged a bullet.

Once upon a time, the general rule-of-thumb was one (1) water pump for every two (2) timing belts, similarly the bearings and pulleys. It is my considered opinion that manufacturers have reduced the quality of these parts on the general belief that they can convince the average owner to replace the whole shebang each belt. That takes the belt from a $150 ordeal to a $500 - $800 ordeal and makes me ever grateful for the chain in our VR6 and pushrods and geared camshaft in the Westie.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Wow didn't I say that the timing belt could be shredding and hitting it's cover making that sound??? Do I win anything!!!

At least you won some money, or saved some money and your engine. ;-)

AND isn't your engine still under warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles? If so your belt should be covered also and the repair should be free. I agree that the dealer should have changed it out!!!! Take pictures of the frayed belt please and post them somewhere.

Bearings might go at anytime, but if the tension is too great then bearings could go out quicker. So maybe the tech re-installed the old Timing Belt with too much tension for the older parts, but you will probably never find out! 8^o

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

Call up your local dealer to get the best answer or a commitment to repair under warranty. I believe that the timing belt should be covered under the 10 year powertrain warranty. I would think it would be dumb of VW to wait for it to break so that they would have to do some extensive repairs to your engine at their expense!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

geez, really stupid! We have to wait for the patient to die before we can save him! powertrain warranty.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1