96 prizm/corolla, grinding noise when making left turn

my 96 prizm started making grinding noises when I take a left turn and give it some throttle. When I just coast and take a left turn there is no grinding noise. Drive axle needs replacing? How would I know ?

Also, when I had my tires rotated they told me the front tires were wearing uneven, said it could be due to alignment or shocks. Wondering if it could have anything to do with the grinding noise ?

Anyways, looked up how to replace the drive axle. It's clear for the most part except how do I get the drive axle loosened from the transmission ? (or differential, whatever it is connected to)

Thanks

Reply to
RT

It is possible that the drive axle(s) need replacing. You would know by inspecting the CV joints for excessive play.

When you disconnect the hub from the shaft, the shaft should just pull out of the transaxle.

Reply to
Ray O

I used to have a 95 Prizm. This all sounds very familiar.

My grinding noise was the front wheel bearing. The wheel bearing and drive axle were replaced as an entire assembly.

My uneven tire wear was worn shocks.

Replacing the drive axle assembly was over my head. I paid to have it done.

Reply to
Truckdude

Thanks Ray & Truckdude. I looked up how to replace the drive axle and it doesn't seem like a huge job.

Reply to
RT

You're welcome. Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

I pulled the old drive axle out. Wasn't too bad. You definitely need a breaker bar and a huge socket for the nut on the axle. When I pulled the axle out the inside joint came apart ! The housing for that joint was still stuck in the transaxle. Is this normal ? Or was it THAT broken ? At first I didn't have good lighting and thought that I got everything out. But it didn't make sense, why would the joint be open. So I checked with a flashlight and the rest of the axle was still there. I needed a prybar to get the last piece out. Ordered a new drive axle, it is supposed to be in tomorrow.

Reply to
RT

Yes, the joint was that broken. ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I got the seal but it wasn't needed. I didn't toiuch the seal with the prybar, it's too far in there. And putting it back was easy. No leaks so far. I put it all back together and took it for a spin. It does feel a lot more firm and no more noises when shifting from R to D. But... the grinding noise when taking a left turn is still there. ugh. I'm thinking wheelbearings now. My manual says to take the spindle out and have the wheelbearings replaced somewhere else and just bring the sprindle.

Reply to
RT

I believe that the wheel bearings need to be pressed in and out so find a shop with a press.

Reply to
Ray O