98 Escort ZX2 timing belt problems

Took the subject car in to mechanic for water pump replacement at 120K miles. Ran into "might-as-well" replace timing belt with water pump.
After about 1 month / 2500 miles, I found out that the newly installed timing belt had disintegrated on the outside 1/2 (this is the outside half as in "outside half of the pulleys", ie, the pulley edge closest to the passenger side tire) and the remaining belt finally slipped a couple of teeth and got the car out of time. Mechanic re-replaced the belt.
As soon as the car came out of the shop, we pulled the upper timing belt cover and found that again, the belt appeared to be running at the very outer edge of the pulley, and was already starting to show some small frayed patches along this edge. There is also clearly a "shiny patch" on the pulleys from where the old belt ran, the old patch was directly centered on the pulley and looked to have about 3/16" clearance on either edge of the pulley.
How is the timing belt alligned on these engines? It seems most probable that the mechanic put something back together in the wrong order (crankshaft pulley/washers or spacers) or left out parts entirely and still hasn't corrected the problem. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Corey
If it's like the contour 2.0liter (I suspect it is), shop manual (sec03-01A-1B) notes that there is a spring on these motors (tensioning spring) that is not installed factory and must be installed upon first service or change of the camshaft timing belt. Must be purchased seperately, not supplied with engine.
Make sure that your mechanic did this.
Andrew
Corey872 wrote:

On 10 Aug 2003 15:07:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Corey872) wrote:

Hmm, make sure that IF there is a timing belt guide on the crankshaft pulley that it is:
1. Not bent 2. Installed such that if it is curves, isn't installed so that it eats the belt
To me it sounds like either the tensioner wasn't set properly or the timing belt guide is missing or damaged.
__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4
Thanks for the input guys. I will definitely check out both avenues. I am still curious, does any know for sure if there is some type of guide plate or such?
Thanks
Corey
(Corey872)