how difficult to change timing belt on 96 Rav4?

I recently bought a 96 Rav 4, 80k miles from the original owner. The timing belt has never been changed. I have changed a timing belt and water pump and seals on a Honda Civic, Mazda truck and a Ford Ranger. That's the extent of my experience. I certainly didn't do them in a couple hours, but after enough perseverance, I managed the repair. I am tempted to try this as the Toyota stealer out here in Hawaii wants $1100 to change the seals,water pump,timing belt,drive belts. And they are booked 1.5 months out! The other mechanic shops I know, I don't trust to truly change out the cam and crank seals etc. What kind of nightmare am I looking at? In the past, the worst part of the job was getting the crank bolt loose. But there are always other land mines along the way!

thanks in advance

Gary in Hawaii

Reply to
Ropert's Aloha

Honda Civic timing belts are more difficult to change than the Rav4. If you can do a Civic belt, then you should have no problem with a Rav4 belt.

I'd order a Gates timing kit, oil seals and a NEW water pump from NAPA. No reman pumps for me. Get a gallon of Toyota coolant and distilled water.

"56&location_id487 The timing kits come with instructions. Follow it to the word then you should have no problems. Should cost you about $200 in parts.

Reply to
johngdole