99 COROLLA - 60 K Service - Dealer vs Non-Dealers - +ves & -ves

Hi everybody!

I have a 1999 Toyota Corrolla I verified with the dealer and he is charging 510$$ for the 60K service.

But when I consulted other mechanics where I went for my state inspections, lube changes etc , they said that dealer is a big ripoff and will not do "much service" other than doing mere inspections.

And any non-dealer could do that inspection. I checked with one or two non-toyota mechanics and they had a computerised manual of what to do for 99'Corolla 60K service. Is that good and safe?

Recently I had my tires changed at Walmart and I realise the staggerring savings I made. Walmart did the work @ almost 200$$ less than what Dealer charges.

What to do? I will appreciate any help , guidance, remarks from the experienced in this direction. thank you

-Mary

you could snd me an email @ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Mary Degallo

staggerring

dealer replacing your tires??!? lol, thats like going to the restaurant to buy a gallon of milk. And no, dont get any work outside of warranty from the dealer, find a reliable independent mechanic, browse through your manual to see what work needs to be done and tell him to do it. for 60k, im guess you would change your spark plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, transmission oil and filter, and coolant (make sure they use the genuine Toyota coolant, if they don't have it go buy it from the dealer and give it to them). I think the timing belt change is due at 90k, but I could be wrong...check your manual for that. And make sure they use the correct spark plug type (probably a NGK or Nippon Denso) the brand and model will be in your manual. Ohh, when they change the plugs, they will also change the distabutor cap and rotor, I would but those 2 parts from the dealer to make sure they are genuine Toyota parts and provide it to the mechanic along with the coolant.

Reply to
elmo

staggerring

Mary,

60k service is rather standard.

The major things that will need to be done:

Tune up - spark plugs and possibly spark plug wires. at 60k, it's probably a good idea to change the distributor cap and rotor if so equipped. Flush Radiator - drain and fill coolant Change fuel filter Change oil and filter Change transmission fluid and filter (if equipped) - it may be just a drain and fill. Change PCV valve (if equipped) Change air filter (if needed)

Minor things: Check shocks/struts for leakage, Grease the chassis Check windshield wiper fluid. Check power steering fluid Check brake fluid Check CV boots for cracking

I suggest that you never go to the dealer for any repairs. As you've already experienced, other shops can do the same work the dealer does for a significant savings. The "computerized" manual is similiar to what the dealer uses if not almost identical. That program tells the mechanic how long to charge for a particular job and it also has diagrams that can help the mechanic in repairs. I would imagine an independant shop in your area could save you at least $150 for the 60k service if not closer to $200. Ask your friends where they take their cars and if they would recommend you to go there as well. Make friends with your mechanic; it's harder to screw someone that you like. Of course, some mechanics have no conscience at all.

Good luck,

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang