Re: neg w/ dealer for a used '99 sr5 sport 4runner....advice needed

I do this as a hobby, negotiate for those who cannot do it for themselves (no, I am NOT seeking any work from you). Just saved someone almost $3000, got $1250 for two hours' effort...

there are articles all over the internet on how to negotiate a car purchase. you are going to pay extra for dealing with a dealer...I bought my 98

4Runner from a private party and got it for $4000 under blue book.
Reply to
crosem

I had a friend. He went in and fell for the "monthly payment" nonsense. Sigh.

1: Get your bank or credit union to agree on an amount to advance you as a maximum for a loan. Get the check ready as it were. 2: Negotiate a price. Get it in writing. 3: Write a check.

Do not talk financing. Do not talk trade-in. Do not talk dealer financing - they won't beat your bank's rate. Do not talk "monthly payment" Do not talk about an extended warranty.

Just price and hand them a check. Anything else just gives them leverage and more priofit.

Bring a copy of Blue Book and NADA's quotes. Look for ANY problem, no matter how tiny, and haggle the price down based upon it. Make it a big deal like they would on a trade-in. You can probably get them to knock off a few hundred for worn tires, for example.

Gheez - I'm going to have to replace those in 10K miles. Oh man - what's wrong with that rear speaker? Look at those cracks in the driver's seat.

Etc. If the car is less than *perfect*, you can drop them down to a reasonable price quickly.

Don't give them a HINT of your already having lined up financing. In fact, feel free to lie and feign interest - if they can give you a deal. Get the price in writing. Hand them a check and say thank you - I'm deciding to pay cash.

Be an ass - a nice ass, but one nonetheless. They would do the same courtesy to you if the roles were reversed.

60K is close to the replacement period for the timing belt and water pump. Check the CV boots as well - if cracked, they need replacing(requires pulling stuff apart - not a quick fix).

Check the transfer cases. Check the ground. ANY oil leaks at this age can be used as leverage.(really no big deal, but again, "If I'm paying top dollar, I want it perfect" type attitude. Cracks in seats, dash, loose buttons and knobs, etc. Check the discs as well - groves in the discs are a sign of improper maintainence.

If you spend an hour looking it over and writing things down, it is a proper look-over(is your time worth more than $1000+ an hour? Cause that's what you can save by taking your time)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Good points - This car is 5 years old in a week or so. I'd want to see service records before I'd pay over blue book --- and new premium tires and shocks! For another 5 grand you could get a brand new one --- new styling and probably a lower loan rate. They are discounting 2003's about 3 grand.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I just bought what sounds like the same truck except mine has a 5 speed manual trans. I paid 18K for it. Specs:

99 4Runner 3.4 l V6 5sp trans pwer everything. Moon roof oversized tires. 4x4 Am/fm cass. Replaced already with XM radio. tow package.

I bought mine this past Saturday. Very easy buy. The truck is absolutely perfect. Not a scratch on it. My friends thought it was brand new.

I write this just to give you an idea of realistic pricing, seeing that I bought mine on saturday the 23rd.

Reply to
Jim