Acetone

I just returned from a long (230 miles) drive, to visit my son, and with the acetone in my old car got 34.5 mpg up from a normal highway drive of about 28 mpg .

Just thought I would mention it. In my previous posts I learned much about the negitive/doubtful reaction to acetone, and now, this doubt has me doing more research (just for my own gas savings).

An interesting questioned posed was if my savings in mpg are around

20/25% then is my gas chamber that inefficient? That seems like a awful lot of inefficiency.

Hank...

Reply to
Hank

That's real scientific, Hank. I put acetone in my car and it didn't change my gas mileage by 0.01%.

Reply to
clifto

Congratulations, but I really dont believe it. If you firmly believe in it, then keep using it.

Reply to
hls

Eventually, all that money saved on gas, will be used to replace the rubber and soft parts, , in your fuel system, that the acetone destroys...

Reply to
Bob Johnstone

Nothing quite like the combination of acetone and plastic.

Can you say ... ...

sludge?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I tried it in three different cars and it made no difference at all in any of them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I just returned from a long (230 miles) drive and with the acetone in my old car got 34.5 mpg, up from a normal highway drive of about 28 mpg. ________________________________________

Check for a leak in your fuel vapor recovery system. I think the acetone fumes are getting into the cabin.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

How much acetone did you mix with the gasoline?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Who said anything about mixing it with the gasoline?

Reply to
clifto

I did the "recommended" 3 oz per 10 gallons of gasoline. This is my

3rd tankful using the stuff. I think I will start writing this down so I don't forget.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Now that the solvent has cleaned your injectors, you can go back to regular gas and the mileage should stay up.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Does this mean a one time dose of acetone is a good thing?

:)

Reply to
Noozer

'I' certainly wouldn't use it or recommend it. I work with the stuff and know how fast it eats plastic parts.

I was trying to save the OP from himself by suggesting a less harmful test.

My Jeep's system can't even tolerate ethanol, it dissolves parts and rusts out all the steel lines.

My owners manual even states if I 'must' put ethanol of any mix in for emergency purposes, only use enough to get to 'real' gas.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I agree with Mike... I have worked with it for decades, and it is a very reactive solvent. I would not use it, EVER, in an automotive fuel system.

Reply to
hls