where to find crimp tool?

I'm looking for a crimp tool that will do factory-style crimps on the little electrical connectors used on European cars, the ones with two tabs that fold over and crimp over the wire and then two more that fold over and crimp over the insulation for strain relief. I had a cheap tool that I'd bought at a Pep Boys in Michigan years ago, but it's wore out and I lent it to a technician anyway. I'd prefer to replace it as I have a little wiring project coming up on the Porsche and would like to make it look factory-esque. But my local pep boys does not stock the tool and I can't seem to find one at any of the German parts places online. I'm not a pro shop so I don't have access to a Snap-On or Matco truck :(

thanks!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate, I buy tools from both of these guys, I just find out what days they are at certain shops and times and meet them there, cash deals. Snap On also has an online catalogue, maybe you can get a P/N from the site then buy it local.

Reply to
maxwedge

Check out the pawn shops in your area.I suppose Snap On and other tool outlets have crimp tools. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Actually now that you brought it up I checked Snap-On and the only tool they had that looks like what I need is kinda cheezy looking... but it did give me a new search term to try. Weather-Pack connectors use the same kind of crimps that I'm thinking of; and checking the Weather-Pack web site gives examples of the tool I need, but no indication as to where to buy :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I own a crimp tool that is used for crimping battery clamps on to auto battery cables.It has a head on it that can be rotated to four different size cables/clamps.I bought it for a few dollars at a pawn shop about twenty years ago. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Those crimp tools are available from electrical, electronics, and maybe computer cabling supplies. Even Radio Shack, Sears, Harbor Freight, and Fry's Electronics carry them, but by mail you can get them from Jensen Tools/Contact East, MCM Electronics, and Jameco Electronics. Some brands are Amp, Greenlee, and Ideal.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Klein makes good tools, you might check them out too.If it is a heavy duty crimping tool you want, you can make your out of old bolt cutters.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I have a good selection of crimpers for sale on my website

Most are in stock and will ship the same day if ordered early enough. Here's a link directly to the product category.

Rich B

Here's the one I use.

Chas Hurst