Adjust parking brake on 2003 Tahoe

Anyone please.. 2003 Tahoe. Do you know how to adjust the parking brake after the rotors, calipers, and disc brakes have been replaced? Thanks in advance

Reply to
diane888

Diane, I believe Ian (in alt.autos.gm) touched upon this not long ago. Modern disc systems have drum brakes inside a hat assembly which serve as the parking brake. I am led to believe that there is a Tech Service Bulletin out on this with a new procedure for preadjusting the parking brake. Also, new shoes are recommended, I believe.

The shoes are supposed to be self adjusting, once installed correctly and preadjusted.

I know this is not what you asked for, but I dont have access to the TSB.

Reply to
hls

I picked up Ians post, and with due credit to him, you will find it below

*********************************** ""On this particular vehicle, the "park brake" (contrary to popular opinion, this is not considered an emergency brake, and if you attempt to use it as such, good luck) is the drum in hat style...ie: it's a one piece shoe that sits inside the hat of the rear rotor.

Also contrary to popular opinion, there is "no" external adjustment on the cable. You will see a threaded end on the cable, but you will notice that the nut is threaded onto it as far as it will go. This is not where you make your adjustment.

In that year.....the park brake shoes had a design problem that allowed them to stay cocked over to one side and basically wore the shoe material out, even if you were not using the park brake. The new shoes will come with a re-designed retaining clip that allows the shoe to "float" and center itself properly after it is released.

Best bet....remove the rear rotors, check the lining of the park brake shoes. If worn....replace both park brake shoes, adjust them manually until you can just slip the rotor over them, and you will have a decent "park" brake."

********************* There is a manual adjustment for these, as he says. I said they should be self adjusting after preadjustment, but I am not sure,. now , that this is true.

I went to a forum where this subject was being discussed, and it seems that this system is just about as problematic as some of the early four wheel disc systems they had.

Reply to
hls

No real adjustment after the initial install. You replace the shoes and the rotors and adjust them using the screw adjuster on one end of the shoe bracket. Once adjusted so the rotor barely slips over the shoe your done. No other adjustments possible. Oh GM says replace the shoe when the lining is less than 1.5mm. also the adjuster screw shouldn't exceed 5mm of exposed thread.

Reply to
Steve W.