adjusting valves: 89 nissan pickup

I am getting some valve ticking noise from my beloved 89 Nissan Hardbody Pickup. It has around 120k miles. It's the 2.4 liter, 4 cyl. engine.

Some people say "all japanese engines tick", etc., but I figure it won't hurt to adjust the valves into spec. I know that if they are way out of whack it can cause valve damage, and the job doesn't look too daunting.

I have a Chilton's manual for this truck, but have never adjusted the valves on an engine before. I have done a fair amount of other things, on various other cars like replacing head gaskets, brakes, transmissions, etc. From my previous experiences with my truck, it is pretty easy to work on overall.

I am just wondering if their are any "gotchas" to this, or if it is pretty striaght forward. I think I have all the tools needed: metric sockets and wrenches, and a feeler gauge.

Basically wondering how long it should take, and anything to watch out for.

TIA,

Scott

Reply to
Sc0tt

if those are hydraulic valves, they may not be you noise source. they will be easy to adjust, tho. the last ticking noise i had on a Datsun L4 was the timing chain (yes metal), they stretched and needed replacment before the tensioner got beat to pieces (that was the sound souce, the chain vibrating the tensioner). --Loren

Reply to
lcoe

Scott,

I've done this lots of times on my '88 2.4... It's not hard.

Tips:

1) In my '88 the valve cover is held on with big phillips screws. You may find you need a phillips head + extension on your ratchet to loosen / tighten them.

2) To rotate the overhead cam you can either "bump" the engine or put a big wrench on the camshaft bolt and pull.

3) If you choose the wrench method make SURE you don't drop it down the timing chain. I'm so paranoid about this I tie a length of rope on my wrench to make sure I can fish it out if I let go.

4) If you choose the wrench method yank a set of spark plugs. No compression makes the job a lot easier.

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
Geoff Glave

Thanks Geoff. I appreciate it.