1989 Nissan pickup heater core

Hey Guys,

The heater core on my 1989 Nissan Hardbody Pickup has started to leak, and it is getting worse. I am thinking about bypassing the heater core until I get it fixed, so I don't lose coolant, but hopefully I can fix it this weekend.

Anyway, for the most part this truck is easy to work on, and I was just wondering if anyone has done the job on a similar truck. For what it's worth, my truck does not have A/C, so I know that can make a big difference. I have done moderatley difficult jobs before, such as head gaskets and such, so I am not a stranger to wrenching.

Any comments on the difficulty, time estimate, or special tools needed? (BTW I also have a chilton's manual but have not looked at it yet).

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Scott Fuhrman

Take it your not in a cold climate. Temporarily disconnect both heater hoses at the firewall and connect together with an appropriate sized tube. Support hoses at fire wall end so they don't drop down into the exhaust.

Don't be shocked if the dash needs to be removed to replace the core.

As far as the Chilt> Hey Guys,

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Well, I am in the middle of this job, and just thought I would give a word of advice to anyone doing the same thing...

Neither the Haynes nor the Chilton's manual is ANY help with the task of removing/replace the heater core in this truck. They basically say something like this:

1) Remove center console (if equipped) 2) remove heater unit 3) split apart heater unit to get to heater core

Giving no help on how to get the damn heater unit out. Do I have to take off the dash? Who knows... they don't say.

Meanwhile, getting the heater unit out is/will be quite a chore. I am going to find a factory service manual to see if it is any help. Will post again, hopefully with some success.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Fuhrman

Well, in case anyone was wondering, I found a shortcut... not to the heater core though. I basically performed bypass surgery on my heating system.

I ordered a heater core, and got it in the mail tonight. After spending hours last weekend ripping out the radio, instrument panel, trim pieces, etc. out, I was finally going to get ready to remove the dash. But it looked like it would take a long damn time to do it. Neither Chiltons, Haynes, of the Nissan FSM gave any hints on dash removal.

In my Nissan, since I don't have air conditioning, I just have a plastic duct where the A/C condenser would normally go, between the blower assembly and the heater assembly. Just a plastic duct about a foot long.. So i cut three sides out of this duct, and stuck the new heater core in this duct, bypassing the old one. It fit just about right. Then I sealed things up nice with some weather stripping and duct tape, connected some new heater hose through the firewall to the heater lines off the engine to the new heater core.

Just got back from the test drive, heater seems to work as good as new. Sure, it wasn't the best looking thing to do, and I lost the normal dash control of air temperature (instead i now just move a little valve that is underneath the glovebox :) ). But at least now I have heat, and if this heater core goes out I can put a new one in, in about 15 minutes. In a truck this age, I am really not concerned about doing this, and I never had air conditioning anyways, so it works for me.

It may be a hack, but at least I am not freezing my ass off anymore!

Scott

Reply to
Scott Fuhrman

when you get it off, try soldering it, I never had the chance cause I always ran in to composite materials. I would imagin the bypass can be done in the engine compartment. Good to have the manual like you said. Just in case a weird thing is mentioned. for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari