aftermarket fan clutch

I just installed a new "aftermarket" fan clutch on my Honda Passport and it is VERY loud. It sounds like it does not freewheel at all and runs at top speed. I beleive it may also be harming my gas mileage. I took the first one back and got another brand (but still aftermarket) and it still does the same thing.

Does anyone know if it will eventually "loosen" up (and quiet down)? Or should I simply break down and spend the dough on the factory part?

Reply to
riddle2000

||I just installed a new "aftermarket" fan clutch on my Honda Passport and it ||is VERY loud. It sounds like it does not freewheel at all and runs at top ||speed. I beleive it may also be harming my gas mileage. I took the first ||one back and got another brand (but still aftermarket) and it still does ||the same thing.

There are two kinds of aftermarket fan clutchs - viscous and thermal. The Viscous relies only on the change in viscosity of a silicone fluid to make it freewheel when warm. The Thermal has the fluid, plus a thermostatically operated valve. Thermal clutches have a spiral-wound coil in the front center, facing the radiator. It is much more efficient, and about $10 more. Sounds like you opted for the cheapo non-thermal. Exchange it for a thermal unit. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Been a long time since I replaced one but I kinda remember it doing that new and I kinda remember the instructions saying something like the active fluid will need time to settle if it was stored on the shelf at the wrong angle.

bb

Reply to
bobby

Oh yeah, as far as my comment about "doing that new" I ment acting like a solid link. I think it did that for a couple of weeks or so.

Reply to
bobby