Air bag failure to deploy

On june 21 my brother inlaw was killed in a head on collision in a 95 ford f-150 and the air bag did not deploy. He was the driver and lone occupant. I looked at the truck and can actually see the airbag still folded up inside the steering wheel. The vehicle was never in a previous accident and was in very good shape. Nobody including police, insurance, highway safety...have brought this issue up and the vehicle is due to be crushed next week. Is this not a HUGE issue? There must be 1000's of these trucks on the road. Could someone be held liable for this. Thanks for any opinions.

Reply to
mark

How fast was he going when the accident occurred? Was it a direct head on crash or was it an offset? There are a few factors that all have to happen before the bag goes off. Are you 100% sure that the system was operating? They may have pulled the data and discovered that it was disabled due to a system fault. Hard to tell. However it could also just be a freak event. It happens.

Oh and there are FAR more than thousand of F-150's on the road. Numbers would be closer to millions. It is quite likely that while I typed this post someone out there just wrecked another one.

Reply to
Steve W.

It looks like high speed and direct head on. The ford 's frame was cracked/severed just behind the engine, trans/engine were partially in the passenger compartment. The vehicle was inspected for any mechanical problems right after the crash, wouldn't a faulty or disabled air bag system have been detected?

Reply to
mark

Possibly not. They may not have been looking for that. It is possible that the conditions were wrong enough that the bag didn't deploy.

Reply to
Steve W.

I wouldn't allow the vehicle to be crushed until you find out about the air bags. Liability issue aside, it would eat at me the rest of my life wondering why they didn't deploy. See if you can find someone who can examine the vehicle and find out why they didn't go off.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

With that much damage, would an air bag deployment have made any difference in suffered injuries? Air bags can only do so much.

Sorry to hear of this tragic event, though.

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton