Replacing the air bag module

My air bag indicator is blinking 6 times, indicating a faulty air bag module.

Does anyone have experience replacing this module?

Thanks!

Reply to
BigR

after reading quite a bit on the issue recently (mine's blinking 10 times) most seem to agree you shouldn't mess with the air bag system yourself and that you need to proceede w/ serious caution if you mess with the air bag at all.

You can do searches in the 'garage' section of miata.net to read tons of info on this.

I'm thinking of a Momo Champion and no air bag, myself.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Actually air bag removal is not that difficult if you take precautions. I just replaced my aging steering wheel that had come loose at the top from the frame inside with a used leather one and the whole swap took a total of

Reply to
Daniel Nguyen

People act like doing anything with an airbag is like diffusing a bomb.

In reality they are pretty simple systems. They don't have triggers, you can trip, and they don't deploy if you accedentally touch a wire. A voltage is required to be sent from the controller to the bag in order to ignite the squib in the bag. Theyr'e really not the big, scary magical systems that some people make them out to be!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Those "some people" are the airbag manufacturers and various governments. :)

I have had mine off a number of times. Nothing happened, but I would not like to understate the dangers in a public forum where I do not know what and how many people read what I say and what they do with it. There are possible manufacturing problems, possible material faults (including in the explosive and igniter), my own incomplete knowledge (static electricity? heat? shock?), possible misunderstanding, and human error and/or stupidity to consider.

Incidentally, the instructions for my steering wheel say to wait

30 minutes after disconnecting the negative battery terminal, not 5 as I stated earlier. They are intended for professional shops.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen