critical speed for airbag deploy?

I've got a car crash couple of days ago. It was strange because the airbags of my 94 golf was deployed in quite slow speed carcrash. Does anybody know what is the critical speed for the airbag deploy for VW golf?

Reply to
Komang

Rob Guenther

Not sure but it isn't much. The A3s have pretty sensitive airbags. I saw an A3 Jetta parked at the side of the road with only a mildly bent front bumper in probably what was a 10mph bump and its airbags had deployed.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
verndog

From what I'm told it's a speed and deceleration thing that triggers the bags! And why you asking?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Most european cars are set to an impact reletive to hitting a wall at

40km/h. If the other car was going faster than its very simple to make it go off. Even more so in older first generation airbags.... Going over railway tracks should NEVER deploy the system unlesss its defective.. & had a short. The 5km/h thing is for bumpers only. not airbags.
Reply to
Craig Williams

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Komang

|thanx guys... |one of the reason i'm asking this stupid question is that i really can't |remember how fast (or slow) i was. because of the curved road and snow, |it should be very very slow but the airbags deployed. i just crash into |a car that just blocked me. that car was definately skided from the |side road and it was perfect "T" shape collision. |thanx again.... | |Komang wrote: |> I've got a car crash couple of days ago. It was strange because the |> airbags of my 94 golf was deployed in quite slow speed carcrash. Does |> anybody know what is the critical speed for the airbag deploy for VW golf?

A lot of newer cars record vital performance perametres, including speed, for about 6 seconds preceding an airbag deployment. Yours is probably too old, as I believe it came along with OBD II Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B