air conditioner stopped on '98 Mercury Sable stationwagon- help?

The air conditioner stopped working today in my 98 Mercury Sable Stationwagon. I checked vent and all other functions and they ceased working too. I checked both the interior and exterior fuses for the blower or anything I could think of relating to the AC and they all check good. There are relays in the exterior box too, but don't know how to check those. Any suggestions as to what this could be? I am in the process of interviewing for new jobs and I must have this working again right away- otherwise I'm a sweatshop when I show up in suit for interviews! So any advice would be appreciated!

thanks, JH

Reply to
Jon Hightower

Can I assume you are saying the blower is inoperative?

Professor www.telstar-electr> The air conditioner stopped working today in my 98 Mercury Sable

Reply to
Professor

Correct, on no settings will the blower/fan run.

Reply to
Jon Hightower

Well... sounds like either no power to blower beacause of AC/heater mode switch isn't closing... or the blower motor is open. The next diagnostic I would perform is to check for voltage at blower motor. If there is voltage... then the blower is open. If no voltage... then the switch is a distinct possibility. Hope that helps.

Professor www.telstar-electr> Correct, on no settings will the blower/fan run.

Reply to
Professor

Thanks, Professor. Yes, it helps, but of course I lack a service manual to figure out how to get to the blower. All the fuses were good, but of course the motor could be open and nothing else would be blown. My mechanic will be looking at it on Thurs. Unfortunately, it will be 97 degrees here tomorrow which is when my interview is scheduled but I will just have to deal with it.

Thanks again, Jon

Reply to
Jon Hightower