Airbag light on 2000 Pont Montana

In the 6 years I've owned this van, the airbag light has come on a few times, stayed on for several days, and then stayed out for months/years. Now that I want to sell it, the pesky light is back, and is on more than it is off (bumps in the road set it on/off occasionally). Looking at the service manual, I see that the connector on the airbag computer (located under the front passenger seat carpeting) has a built in jumper which grounds the low side of the airbag lamp, illuminating it, when you pull the connector off of the computer. When the connector is seated properly, the jumper is supposed to open, and let the computer control the airbag lamp. Apparently the jumper is an anti-tampering device. I suspect that the jumper is not fully retracted and is making intermittent contact and falsely lighting the airbag lamp. I want to pull off the connector to inspect/repair the jumper, but the manual repeatedly warns that you should go thru a lengthy procedure to disarm the airbag circuitry before attempting ANY repairs, and another lengthy procedure to re-arm the system afterwards. They warn that if you don't, you risk unintentional airbag deployment. Do I really need to go thru these procedures before unplugging the connector from the airbag computer? Wouldn't it be enough to pull the SIR fuse and wait an hour or so? It will be hard to sell a car with the airbag lamp on, but harder to sell if I accidentally deploy one or more airbags. The disarm procedure involves ripping out a bunch of trim panels, and I don't want to mess with that unless absolutely necessary.

TIA, Paul

Reply to
Paul

It is very risky/dangerous to fool with the air bag system. They can save your life or kill you in a split second. Your best bet is to get it on a sir capable scanner and find out where the problem is. Or just leave it to a professonal that is trained in air bag repair. Good Luck MT

Reply to
MT-2500

Wrong. Air bags never saved anyone's life who was belted in. Only fools depend on air bags to act instead of a seat belt. There's plenty of stories out there of older cars that were in accidents where the bag did not deploy. Whether because the igniter material got old or the computer was nonfunctional, who knows.

Air bag systems are like any other system. Easier in fact since the air bag computer tells you where the problem is. If you pull the battery and let it sit overnight without power then the air bag isn't going to explode. And when working on the wiring to the bag you just don't get in front of the bag until you unplug the bag from the harness, and wear ear protection. If the bag does happen to explode due to some dumb thing you did then you will be changing your pants and off to the wrecking yard for another bag, then be working on the upholstery with a vacuum cleaner.

This, at least, is correct. You cannot do anything without a scanner. Shotgunning an airbag system by wiggling connectors is as stupid as shotgunning any other electrical system by wiggling connectors. At any case, if there is a bad connector it is most likely going to be in the clockspring other than anywhere else.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt