all about oil

there aren't many features that oil has that haven't been discussed - by the

sidewalk superintendents, of which 99% of it is totally from a subjective standpoint.

one thing, all this verbiage about "cold starts" / mettle against mettle, where did

this stem from? I'm satisfied with oil filters that are designed to maintain pressure or

act as an in-line back flow preventer - after the ignition has been turned off. this in it's self

should help to keep most of the engine's moving parts - oily. dunno, just my idea.

comments welcome on the subject.

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

I love how you've parsed your nonsense such that dissidents like me can easily dissent, dissentence-by-dissentence (sorry).

Well, you're a Webbie, so you can't be blamed personally...

METAL, not "mettle". "Mettle" is a different word with a different definition. Look it up.

Some free advice here: Drugs aren't good for you, when used indiscriminately, that is...

Your ideas are not coherent, cogent, cohesive, or co-anything except corrupt.

You've read mine by now...

h u g o s c h ?e...couldn't be bothered to complete this...

You silly git.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Try using complete sentences, pay attention to capitalization and please use basic punctuation.

You will be surprised at how many readers will actually understand your messages.

Reply to
John S.

There is also the fact that oil "wets" steels and most bearing materials. The idea that an hour after you shut down an engine the journals and bearings are completely dry just isn't true. Unless the clearances have already reached extreme values the surface tension holds some oil in the bearings. Not enough to run very far with, but enough to prevent the scouring during startup that some ads claim.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Very true... And the additives in oil can actually chemadsorb onto steel surfaces and 'stick' there.

Reply to
<HLS

I'm happy with my full synthetic. I took a _long_ trip recently, enough to boil-off any contaminants, and when I got home read the dip stick. Haven't lost a drop since I switched to synthetic. And here I was worried about leaking seals. Not to worry if you have a low mileage car. I mean, mine was at the 20,250 mile mark when I made the switch to full syn, and zero leakage to date.

And I'm running ZERO W 20 instead of 5W20. So if it was going to leak...I would have seen it by now. I presume.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

very good reply and the previous one to. This indirectly answered a oil change that resulted in a disaster for using my car. Some gave me

1981 380sel benz (value bluebook=$0) and they had a new one for many years so this car went in neglect as far as oil goes. Everything was great cause it was garaged and covered. I went and smogged it (California) and it barely passed the CO part of the test. The guy set the engine is old (loose) but the new catalytic converter is cleaning the hell of the exhaust and so I passed. I missed my registration and the smog expired after 3 months so no big deal, went and paid the registration and then I would do the smog test within the time allowed. Well I was feeling good and I thought about doing the right thing and having the car timing, plugs, etc tuned and I would change the oil and filter. I did all that and even ran some fresh oil through the engine and turned in over twice before adding the 8 quarts of new oil and filter. THAT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I MADE ON A CAR FINANCIALLY. The smog test stations (4 different ones) would not even let the test finish because they said my car is polluting their machines. Without a pass or fail test, the DVM would not talk me so I gave the car back and it has sat their for years now. I am positive that the oil change was the worst thing I ever did to damage my ride totally. The old oil had formed a thick layer in the gaps that where worn out and kept it running within spec and smog rules. the oil change washed all that away leaving me with a car no longer suited for california highways. I don,t believe a oil change and all that is always a good approach to car care now. I ended up in a datsun 78 210 which I have not touched the oil in years. I used to be a avid maintenance guy, exactly by the manual. Oh there are other stories in my life where good service resulted in the total loss of my pathfinder. Weird luck.
Reply to
NN

It pretty hard to come with a excuse about bad spelling, AOL client software (free + or other software) will do a spell check before posting. Copy and paste into this box is the only work needed to be a good speller, unless you want everyone to view you as dumb.

I give a break on few misspelled words on a long post but this is worst than a foreigner (or non english writing people is more accurate) who at least does a spell check.

Reply to
NN

When you have an engine (or a transmission) that depends on being gummed up, you don't own much.

While you are obviously convinced of your observation, the previous owner may have loaded that worn out old Mercedes crankcase with all sorts of 'additives', making your oil the consistency of duckpoop.

Good service seldom (never) destroys anything that was worth a crap to begin with.

Reply to
<HLS

sidewalk superintendents, of which 99% of it is totally from a subjective standpoint.

one thing, all this verbiage about "cold starts" / mettle against mettle, where did

this stem from? I'm satisfied with oil filters that are designed to maintain pressure or

act as an in-line back flow preventer - after the ignition has been turned off. this in it's self

should help to keep most of the engine's moving parts - oily. dunno, just my idea.

comments welcome on the subject.

Backbone

To say nothing of: It (It's) pretty hard to come (up) with a(an) excuse about bad spelling, (.).....(a) few....worst (worse)

Reply to
cavedweller

What the bloody hell are you talking about? 'Mettle against mettle'????

Holy Shit!!!

Reply to
<HLS

Not me - OP above me!

I posted a link i.e.

Backbone

I understand..

No wonder the rest of the world is kicking American ass.. mettle instead of metal breaks instead of brakes.

We have become a nation of lazy illiterates

Reply to
<HLS

I'll have to delurk and add a hearty "AMEN" to that. And I, for one, am disgusted that people simply don't understand the difference between "your" and "you're". I know I shouldn't let it bug me, but you see it in every other post on usenet.

Reply to
gfulton

If only my spell checker would do more corrections based on the context of material, I would have communicated my thoughts. It only checks word by word as you pointed out correctly. I guess when I comment on that subject, I should get a commercial checker for starters.

Reply to
NN

The point is I ended the public road-worthiness of my car by servicing it. Where I really thought I was prolonging it. You are right, I did not own much as I stated the car was worth Zero dollars. But I did own transportation verses none. In california it is a need if living in smaller cities. There is also that fact that what you own might be worthless to sell as in my case. But if you factor in the replacement cost , then the difference is big enough when you add that cost to my worthless car. I looked at the net figure of total money lost because of my oil change and that figure it the true value of my loss. Yes, I would eventually had to junk the car, but so does everyone. I know that no one wants to accelerate that process by doing something to the car like I did.

Reply to
NN

Some of the best rust proof undercoating I have seen on older cars is the oil that slowly accumulated over the years. I based it on the time we cleaned the underside and within a year, rust was everywhere that was cleaned. Good example with the steel, sometimes you can only feel if its oily and if not, there is probably still some oil on it if not cleaned.

Reply to
NN

Whatever. Proof reading works for me.

Reply to