Almost lost a socket

I don't work on cars often , so my tools are a collection acquired over decades . Seems like I need a new socket or gadget every time.

HF Tools has tools cheap enough to tack weld, like some have recommended. Which I'd do, if I could weld. Heh... another thing to add to the list.

Thanks, Steve.

Reply to
DemoDisk

withdraw

Thanks, chuckcar

Reply to
DemoDisk

grabbers,

is it a standard 3/8" drive socket? This is the application for which locking extensions were invented.

******

This w/b one example?

Have to check that out; that release thing just looks strange.

Jm

Reply to
DemoDisk

Surprising to some folks is that they do have some good tools, especially if your not one who uses them daily for hours...

No welder? WHAT!!! You need one, or 3....

Drill a small hole and put a pin through it if you don't have a welder.

Reply to
Steve W.

I have some Crapsman ones where the release is just a little slide tab. Think they're these ones.

They are a little finicky though; they lock onto some of my sockets but not others (yes, even some Crapsman brand ones.) I'm sure that someone like S-K, K-D, Mac, Proto, Snap-On, etc. makes a higher quality version, but some of us can't afford to buy the best of everything (much as we'd like to!) Not sure if it's the extensions or the sockets that are at fault, really, so who can say. I'm pretty sure I've used them with my good S-K sockets and they worked OK.

Another option would be something like this:

A buddy of mine has one of those and it's just the greatest goshdarned spark plug socket ever invented. Of course, it's also 56 bucks, so unless I find one at a yard sale, I'm not going to have one.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have one from Snap-On and one that works just like it that is home made!

Take a good plug socket. Buy a good wobble drive extension of the length you want. Now measure the base area of the wobble section and find a washer or make one with a center hole that is the same size. Cut the washer in half. Now place the socket on the extension and use the washer halves to capture the extension. Make sure it fits good. Then weld the washer to the socket.

Or visit a few pawn shops.... (I visited one nearby this weekend and picked up a complete 3/8" set of Snap-On sockets for 45 bucks)

Reply to
Steve W.

Sadly, the pawn shops that I've bothered to check out seem to know what snap-on stuff sells for; if they have any it's 50% of retail or more :(

On the upside, I ran to a pawn shop just a couple weeks ago because my buddy's die grinder died (as in, completely unrepairable - the threads holding the pieces together stripped) while I was borrowing it, and I managed to get the same model die grinder (but working well) plus a Stant cooling system pressure tester for $35, so there are some bargains to be had!

nate

Reply to
N8N

Some pawn shops are better than some other pawn shops, concerning tools anyway.There used to be a pawn shop near me that had so many tools, a lot of them were scattered all over most of the floor.One time I asked that pawn shop guy, What is this for? He said it is a windshield wiper for a billy goat's ass. How much is it? He said, A dollar two nienty eight.

I remember a certain pawn shop, I think it is in Pensacola,Florida.More tools in there than you can shake a stick at. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I have a set of 3 spark plug sockets that are permanently attached to an 8" extension bar. They use a spherical flex joint like a swivel socket. They rotate in the same plane which prevents breaking the plug insulators. It's one of the best I have seen on some of these late model engines. IIRC, they have the Pittsburg name on them. Snap-on and others are sure to make them.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut