Almost lost a socket

I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.

I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers, and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a hardware store.

Thanks, Jm

Reply to
DemoDisk

It is a bit of a specialty item, but I have had good luck with what is basically a strong magnet attached to a metal collapsible antenna. It would be easy to make one but they are not expensive.

With the dust boot contacting the socket to brush it off, the magnet might not work, so it might have required the 3-prong grabber like you used.

The magnet tool is really good for small metal pieces that you can not see since you do not always have to make direct contact with whatever you are fishing for, and the thin metal rod allows you to reach places that you could never otherwise reach with your fingers.

Reply to
pws

you need a locking extension bar - like this:

there are cheaper versions, but this is the general type you want. try before you buy - i've had to return one for not holding sockets well enough, but its replacement locks solid.

Reply to
jim beam

I've got one of these

screwed to the end of a dowel. It will pull trucks out of the mud...

Reply to
Joe Sixpack

"DemoDisk" wrote in news:nLOdneYks- C67CfWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@yournetplus.com:

Piece of coat-hanger wire.

Bend a sharp 90-degree into one end, and cut that end off at about 1/8" long. Hook the end inside and under the square hole in the socket and pull up.

If you can't get the end to hook under securely, bend it a bit more than

90-deg, and tap it flat(ish) with a hammer.
Reply to
Tegger

jim beam wrote in news:9aWdndhrQY6o5CfWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Turns out "DemoDisk" does not know how (or care) to properly cross-post. He posted this identical question to rec.autos.tech, and has responded to the single reply he got there.

Reply to
Tegger

withdraw

cross-post. He

DemoDisk properly DIDN'T crosspost because he's seen so many damn flames directed at people who do crosspost. And he'll go to the trouble of thanking whoever bothers to reply. Even you.

Beyond that, I guess I don't care. I break all the rules. I'm a rebel.

Reply to
DemoDisk

Thus spake "DemoDisk" :

Rebels sometimes get executed. Or kf'ed