America's best selling vehicle for the 28th consecutive year.

FORD.Next best, and just as Good, DODGE. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In message , snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net writes

Boy, I'm bettin you must be Merkin.

Reply to
Clive

At least I am not Jeremy Clarkson, or James May, or the Hamster.They hate everything and anything American. Clarkson once tried out a Ford pickup truck on Top Gear, he just could not bring himself to say anything Good about that Ford pickup truck. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I live in the USA, I actually *own* a Ford truck, and I still can't understand it. I'd gladly trade my Ford pickup for my dad's (20 years older) Chevy pickup, and not because "old is cool" - dad's truck rides and drives so much better than that archaic Twin-I-Beam crap. At least Ford finally ditched it a few years back. Simply because they are so popular, though, I ended up with a F*rd when searching for a "cheap used pickup." Go figure.

AFAICT Dodge pickups are OK too, although I think they got butt ugly when they gave them the semi-truck look. Obviously a lot of people disagree with me though. Can't hardly find any of the old Dodges for sale, either.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:2624-4B7208B1-4653@storefull-

3171.bay.webtv.net:

Ah, that's just his act. He changed his tune when he *bought* a Ford GT,

*drove* a corvette and *tested* a viper. He definitely doesn't like the idea of leafspring cars being used in racing however.
Reply to
fred

According to my snail mail March 2010 Popular Mechanics magazine, Dodge pickup trucks are the only new American pickup trucks which have coil spring suspension all the way around, all four wheels.

Back in the 1970s, one of my second hand (read that, used) vehicles was a long wheelbase half ton 1967 Ford pickup truck.It had that twin I beam front suspension.I think the suspension was worn out.Going into hard left hand and right hand cornering, the front of that pickup truck would crab (hop) around the corners like an old Army Tank.The V8 engine had two cracked cylinders too.I didn't know it had two cracked cylinders untill a guy at the Ford dealership phoned me and told me about it.I had traded that pickup truck in on a 1954 Ford one ton ex-farm truck which had came from Illinois. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In message , snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net writes

Although it's not a serious programme, more a piece of light entertainment, it shows Clarkson's good taste (in some areas).

Reply to
Clive

pre-'73 Chevy trucks also had coil spring suspension. In fact the rear suspension design was used for many years in NASCAR (seriously!) Not sure why they switched back to leaf springs in '73, but there must have been a reason. My dad's '73 rides and handles OK, well, for a pickup truck anyway. I don't know what they did for 4x4 trucks during those years, I can't honestly remember ever having been under one, but I would ASSume that at least the front axle was leaf sprung.

I'd really love to trade my F*rd for a 67-72 Chevy pickup truck, just for the styling. Those were really good looking trucks, and nice and basic mechanically.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I remember some 1970s Chevrolet pickup trucks had four wheels coil spring suspension.A 1967 Plymouth Fury II four door hard top car I used to own had front torsion bar suspension.Old Volkswagens had torsion bar suspension too, quite different than Plymouths though.I have owned three VWs before.A 1961 VW van, a 1963 VW beetle, and a 1970 VW van, also a little 1957 BMW Isetta microcar, it only had one door, the whole front of the car was the door.Sometimes, some of those guys at Scott Air Force Base,Illinois used to pick my little BMW car up and hide it behind the evergreen bushes at Scott AFB. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Misleading. Sales of the F-150 over the years has been compared to either the GMC or a Chevrolet truck. Never both. If GM could combine the sales of the GMC and Chevy over the years it would be a different story.

Reply to
tnom

Chevrolet, and probally GMC too, four wheel drive pickup trucks had front wheel drive units that were manufactured by Dodge.Dodge/Dodge Brothers used to manufacture major componets for some other American auto manufacturers, including the very early Oldsmobiles and Ford Model Ts.

Fords and Dodges/Dodges and Fords, are the Best in the World, in my opinion. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In message , Nate Nagel writes

Leaf springs are for carts drawn by horses.

Reply to
Clive

The Olds Cutlass was the best seller last time I checked.

Reply to
Roger Blake

That must have been a while ago...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

And...you wind up on the roof! P.J. O'Rourke, ~1981...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I have some old books here about the old American West.Stage coaches had leather straps for suspension.If you suffered from sea sickness, you definetely would not want to ride in a stage coach! Those stage coaches swayed from front to rear. side to side, all points of the compass.I would like to ride in/on one of them though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I heard on local tv news this evening, 27 percent of potential Toyota buyers are going to other makes of autos. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin