Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy

Even the OEM ones don't seem to last as long these days.

For a streak-free windshield, Consumer Reports recommends a wiper made by Southfield-based Federal-Mogul Corp.

The magazine tested and ranked 15 models of wiper blades for its November issue, and Federal-Mogul's Anco 31 Series model offered one of the best values.

The Anco ranked third in overall performance, with wipers from Valeo and RainX taking the first two spots.

But Anco was one of two wipers to be named a Consumer Reports Best Buy. The Anco model costs $7 a piece for an 18-inch wiper and $10 for a 24-inch wiper, compared with $9 and $15 for the top-ranking Valeo model.

Consumer Reports, which had its staffers test the wipers on their vehicles, suggests drivers change their vehicle's windshield wipers every six months, when even many of the best models started to leave streaks.

Jewel Gopwani

Reply to
johngdole

Honda OEM blades have always, ALWAYS been the best you can ever buy.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

e quoted text -

Prove it.

Reply to
ransley

And yet I get better results every time with Tryco. Go figure.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Is there a difference in the rubber or synthetic material Anco and Tryco, other windshield wipers manufacturers use? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

They prove themselves.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Thus spake "larry moe 'n curly" :

Where, IIRC, I10 has 30 ft high pillars with signs pointing to them that say something like "flood escape route". You know, for the biennial "Phoenix Creek becomes Phoenix River torrent".

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

I'm closer to I-17.

There are typically 30-40 days of rain here each year, but about 28 of them are storm days, and we don't have anything close to the drainage capacity that a place like Chicago does. The last big floods here occurred in the 1980s, when 100-year floods occurred two years in a row and wiped out all the bridges across the Salt River, except for one in Tempe built in the 1930s as a New Deal make-work project.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

So it would seem that since Honda does not make these items, there is no true good reason to prefer Honda ATF or oil over another manufacturer if produced to the same standards.

Reply to
L Alpert

Haha, are you talking about wiper blades or wiper blade refills? Replacing the blade every six months is a waste of money.

Reply to
Bob Jones

They dont make oil, they specify it and it is nothing special or better than what other cars use. Paying a dealer his markup is a waste.

Reply to
ransley

The new Autozone battery I bought for my 1983 Dodge van was made by Johnson Controls.Chrysler once brought a lawsuit agains't Johnson Controls because of overpricing the batteries. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Sure they do.

They spec power steering fluid and auto trans fluid, and if you bypass their stuff, you see problems.

Engine oil, probably not.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It probably is. But I bet their limited slip differential lube isn't the same as the off-the-shelf Mobil product, even if it's made by Mobil.

Oil is pretty generic, some other fluids aren't.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Sochio (spelling) Honda got started after World War Two by cobbling some little gas engines onto bicycles. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

concur - i've tried all kinds of blades and the ones sold as oem honda are by far the best i've used. both for initial quality and durability.

Reply to
jim beam

It depends on what specification the fluids are made to. If Honda fluids are made to the same specification as those for other vehicles, then it should not make a difference which brand is used.

Reply to
L Alpert

Go ahead, then, use non-Honda ATF and tell us what you think.

Same with coolant.

Shoot, same with power steering fluid nowadays.

They're all part of a complex system that's highly engineered. Long gone are the days of everybody using the same stuff that's off the shelf at Goober's gas station.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

How do you know if a particular brand of ATF has the same additives. Some after-market stuff may not cause problems but whether they provide optimal performance for your vehicle is another question.

According to the service manual, non-OEM anti-freeze on a Honda could lead to corrosion. Why take that chance. The OEM anti-freeze can last for a long long time. $15 is a cheap insurance.

Reply to
Bob Jones

While specific components that are manufactured for specific applications will be built for those applications, genric items that are manufactured to a general specification and relabled as OEM are not. This is something I am quite familiar with, as I have been in the OEM industry for many years (non automotive, but OEM non the less).

Reply to
L Alpert