Annoying noise from under the hood during idling. What does it mean?

Hello, I hear an annoying noise from under the hood whenever I am not pressing the gas pedal. In Park, Neutral or Drive with the brakes on, I hear this noise and as soon as I start pumping gas, it goes away. It is quite annoying and I complained about it to the dealer when I did my 90K service last week, but he said he could not reproduce it.

Now that I can constantly hear it I'm planning to take it back again next week. Does anyone know what this might be before I see the dealer again?

Thnx, Piske

Reply to
piske

Hmmm... My car-telepahty tells me your poor car is protesting the abuse of its inner-subcompact, and the noise is how it's trying to tell you this. Change out the framminger bearing, lubricate the hoozquatch dumpgate, and tighten the wallenberg flange, and all will be well.

What? You don't know what a framminger beraing looks like or where to get one? Well, I guess we're even, then, since nobody can diagnose your problem based on the utterly worthless description you've given.

Reply to
Don Bruder

When did you last refill the blinker fluid?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

MY PSYCHIC POWERS HAVE DIVINED A SLIPPING BELT.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Any attempt to solve is a shot in the dark, with the info given. Guess/wild stab #1: your belt is slipping until it speeds up or heats up enough to get traction. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Wow, I did not expect this site to be full of telepaths. I thought there would be automotive people :banghead:

What more description can I give in a few lines? I don't have a mic or camcorder to record the noise and show it up here. I can say where the noise is coming from and under what conditions. If I knew more that that, why would I be posting it here?:shakehead

- Piske

Reply to
piske

You may wish to tell the psychics here what kind of car you've got. Reading between the lines, it seems as though it's brand-new. Whatever it is. Is it a Zaporozhets? An Ogle GT? An Apsley Chaffinch?

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Oops. It is a 98 Nissan Altima. Too bad... folks are not psychic enough...

- Piske

Reply to
piske

"piske" wrote

So, about this banging noise.... or is a squeek, or a rapid ticking, or a low-frequency thumping, or a chirp, or a buzz-saw, or a whistle, or a boingboingboing, or a......... get the hint?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Raise the hood and stick your head under it and find out what is making the noise. There isn't anyone here or anywhere else that can guess and determine the problem.

"MasterBlaster" > >

Reply to
Woody

Firstly, a noise can be a grind, whine, hum, buzz, rattle, ticking, and so on. The English language has all kinds of nice words for sounds that you could at least try using to convey what the sound is like.

Secondly, if you can say where the noise is coming from, why don't you do so? "From under the hood" isn't specific. Since it happens by itself during idling, you could, without an assistant, open the hood and listen for a more precise location (as well as a better description of the raw, unmuffled sound). When the car is stopped and the engine is idling, pretty much all noises come from somewhere under the hood, with maybe the exception of exhaust resonance, wipers and your radio.

Thirdly, you didn't even mention what make and model of car you have. This is important, if for no other reason than because there are people who may know that particular car. Whatever you are seeing could be a common problem with that car.

Maybe the annoying sound is just your engine turning over. Try removing the key from the ignition, see if it goes away.

This is the Usenet newsgroup rec.autos.tech. You could get here using Google Groups, or a newsreader hooked up to your ISP's news server. The web portal you are using is just a scam that puts craploads of advertizing between you and the newsgroup.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

In article , "MasterBlaster" > >

Kinda reminds me of the "auto parts guy" routine one of the Bob & Tom comedians does -

Auto parts guys ought to have a simple job. Give 'em year, make, and model, and what the part is, and they'll get ya one. So why does the conversation always go

Customer, tossing broken part on the counter: Got anything that looks like this? Clerk: What's it off of? Customer: Truck. Clerk: What kind of truck? Customer: Pickup.

DUH! It's like pulling teeth!

And our "rocket surgeon" wonders why the first round got him nothing but smart-ass "psychic" answers...

Reply to
Don Bruder

"piske" wrote;

I hear an annoying noise from under the hood whenever I am not pressing the gas pedal. In Park, Neutral or Drive with the brakes on, I hear this noise and as soon as I start pumping gas, it goes away. The dealer can not reproduce it. Does anyone know what this might be? ______________________________________________________

LOL. That's the way my wife describes an automotive problem.

Until you can offer at least a description of the noise ( squeal, squeak, squawk, hiss, tap, thump, rattle, loud, soft, etc.), no one can guess what you are talking about. It would also help if you would actually open the hood and describe where the noise seems to be coming from, and identify the vehicle.

The only clue you did provide was that the noise vanishes when the gas pedal is pressed. So don't press the gas pedal.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan