auto lift/parking space

Hi

I am in the process of building a 2 car garage. My plan is to have one of these mobile 4 post lifts which can be used to do auto work as well as park a sports car on the lift with another car beneath. They have a sliding jack plate so that wheels can be removed etc. I typically do fluid changes, exhaust, some body work brakes. I'm wondering if anyone has one of these and how happy they are. I can't bolt a lift to the floor of the garage as it needs to be multi purpose. Any info would be appreciated.

Cameron

Reply to
Renko

I don't have one, but if I were you I certainly wouldn't consider using one if it was not properly bolted down.

Just use quality insert type anchors in the concrete and then you can readily unbolt the lift if you need to move it. When the lift isn't in place install some set screws into the anchors to keep them from filling with dirt. To make the lift moveable (without a car on it) mount side crank trailer jacks with wheels to each column so you can jack it up slightly (after unbolting from floor) and roll it around.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hi Pete

The type of lift I'm considering has casters which tip up when the weight of the car is on it. This thing is designed to be moved so I'm not simply placing it on the floor without proper support. Just FYI

Cameron

Reply to
Renko

You might find more lift information at:

where it has be discussed frequently.

Reply to
CraigFL

Ok, then perhaps you're ok. All the four post lifts I've seen were intended to be bolted down solidly.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

My friend has one, I helped him assembled it. :)

It works pretty good, but he's not lifting a 3/4 ton pickup with it. (he has a Formula V and a Porsche Boxster)

They move on "wheels" that retract, but the thing still weighs about

1000 pounds so it's a two person job to move around. It's not the least bit jiggly, but I'd heed the weight limit.

Ray

Reply to
Ray