How Do I Safely Lift My Subaru?

This is a question I have had not just about my 03 Baja, but about any car. How do I know where to place my garage lift under the car so I can then safely place jack stands. Last night, I was looking to rotate my tires. I lifted the front of the car by placing my floor jack underneath the frame rail about where the driver's seat is positioned. Then I placed a jack stand in front of the the floor jack, slowly lowered it, and that worked fine. However, in back, I placed the floor jack at a point where I thought the frame rail would provide support but when I started raising the car the part the floor jack was pushing against started to buckle! I now have a small dent there. Moving the floor jack a few inches further towards the front of the vehicle did the trick. I know where the safe lifting places are for the emergency jack but if I use those I still need to know places where I can safely position jack stands. Can someone shed some light on this?

Reply to
jMon

I've never looked under a Baja, but I'll assume it's the same as every other Soobie I've worked on . . . When using a floor jack, lift the front by jacking at the center of the cross member just behind the oil pan. Lift the rear by jacking at the rear diff, or on the FWD cars, at the cross member just forward of the rear bumper. Jackstands go just behind the front wheels, and just ahead of the rears; same place you'd put the compact jack if you needed to use it. There should be a notch in the rocker panel there. If using a two-post hoist, position the front pads either on the "frame rail" near the rear mounting point of the front arm, or (I have to use a 2X4 on the arm of my hoist to get this to work) beneath the front OEM jacking points. The rear pads go beneath the rocker panel at the rear jacking points. FWIW, this nfo should be in your owners manual. Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S.

I had the same thing happen to me at the front on an Impreza. I wasn't terribly impressed. I now put a piece of wood between the jack and the rail (really only a seam) to spread the contact out a bit and that seems to work ok.

Reply to
Paul Pedersen

I was able to use the service jack included with my vechicle to jack at the prescribed jack points (behind front wheel, in front of rear wheel) and still have enough room to get the jack stand next to it to still be on the jack point. the service jack is gloriously skinny.

Gotta do one wheel at a time though. There appears to be no central front jackpoint on this generation.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.