Auto Transmission noice in 96 Chevy full size 4x4

My 96 chevy truck with automatic and 350,000 miles started making a "wining" noise the other day. It makes this noise whether it is in neutral or in gear and changes with reving the engine. (The pitch I guess changes when reving the engine). It is less noticeable going down the highway more noticeable at idle. SOund seems to be coming through the floor transmission tunnel. What do you think it is and is it easy to fix?

Reply to
stryped

Have you tried pulling the serpentine belt and seeing if the noise goes away? Whining noise, at least to me, usually makes me suspect the power steering system initially. Maybe you'll get lucky and all it needs is a new PS pump...

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Noise coming thru the tunnel will not be a serp bel/tensioner. Sounds like the trans/transfer case, either of which is not easy.

Reply to
twisted

WOuld it be the transfer case if it is not in 4x4? SO removing the tranny isnt easy. I am debating whther it is worth fixing or scrapping the truck out. I like it and it is nice, but has 350,000 on both the tranny and engine.

Reply to
stryped

quoted text -

In these trucks are the tranmissions different in a 2wd versus a 4 wheel drive?

Reply to
stryped

If it's making the noise when in gear but not moving it might be the pump. Perhaps the pressure relief is not working right and it's always running at high pressure. I'm not sure what else is rotating when it's in gear but not moving. A good/honest transmission shop should be able to tell what it is. At 350K it's doubtful it's worth fixing. How's the fluid look?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If the body is nice and the interior is nice, and all you are worried about is "It has 350,000 on it...." then why not buy the powertrain out of a lower mile truck that got totaled and put that in your truck? Couple grand in parts with a warranty from the wrecking yard on the major components, long weekend to swap it in....and your car is fixed with no car payment.

It's just my opinion of course, but in my mind it is always cheaper to maintain rather than to replace unless you have rust to contend with.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

No rust. Of course some wear. It is a 96 Silverado king cab step side bed 4x4. It is not the best on gas. Still runs and shifts good although I noticed I am loosing coolant somewhere. Thought about gettign a used 4 cylinder car for gas purposes but I almost have to have a truck to pull with etc. It is a 350 automatic. Are these hard to find? How hard to change the engine and tranny in a 4x4 like this?

Reply to
stryped

I've not done one, so I don't know for sure. I have done clutches and transmissions on 4 bangers, and so long as you have a nice selection of extensions, sockets, a cherry picker, and some patience, swapping out the powertrain is doable by the backyard mechanic.

Or you can pay a reputable shop to do it. A shop with experience on your particular truck could probably have the whole thing done in two days.

If you are losing coolant 'somewhere', and the leak can't be seen, I would suspect the intake manifold gaskets. Very common on your vintage truck, and if you go to fix it you'll probably break off the heater hose connection on the intake, the one with the 'quick release' tab that doesn't ever work. Either you'll break the clip, or the metal bung that screws into the intake, or both...so if you find the leak at the edge of the manifold be ready to change those parts too. The plastic clip can be found in the "Help" section. The metal bung is a dealer part, they improved it so the new one won't fall apart (supposedly).

Chris

Reply to
Hal