Battery maintenance

I brought home 2 ragrats yesterday, found the lights were on a few hours later. Then I took battery home and put it on the charger. In the morning it was still trickling a little under 1.5 amp (and the "charged" light was never on)

So I pulled the caps off the 6 cells to check the elctrolyte level (since I could never tell from the side what the fluid level is) it seemed like a little low even though I could not see bare plates in any single cell.

So I dumped what seemed like a pint of distilled water among 6 cells (and now am having second thoughts). that water level is probably level with the bottoms of the caps. Which is probably too high.

I suppose the vent is there to get the fumes out, not to let the excess electrolyte level drain and battery to "self balance", is it? (the syringe is missing, I wonder if I put it on when I will have installed the batter a year or two ago)

What is likely to happen due to what's probably now a somewhat overfilled (12V lead acid) battery? tnx

Reply to
I hate front wheel drive, most torque must go to the rear