Boat/Ship engines/cooling system.

I am listening to a local radio talk show.A guy on the Gulf Coast said that oily water will ruin boat/ship engines.He said even outboard engines will overheat.Some Shipping lanes might be closed. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

People say the wierdest things. Unlikely that this level of oil in the sea will really hurt much, unless you are really in the thick of it.

What may hurt is the price and availability of good Gulf shrimp and oysters in the time to come. We were just getting over the damage the freaking hurricanes did, and now BP greases our eats.

Sincerely, this was a disaster. Two people from my old company were on board, and did not survive. When this settles down, the lawsuits will start flying. Who is really at fault? A witch hunt is about to start. And, IMHO, some company - perhaps not BP - will have a severe tour to walk.

Reply to
hls

Four people from my home State were on that offshore oil rig when it exploded.They haven't been found, they won't be found. I don't know if that oil/sluge can damage Boat/Ship engines or not if it gets into the water cooling passages.I assume if too much of it builds up in there it can/will cause the engine(s) to overheat.Gummy sticky stuff. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The primary death sentence was the initial blowout explosion. The platform, IIUC, has sunk. There will be, AFAIK, no survivors that have not already been identified.

Now, the investigators will try to find out what really happened.

I have worked offshore a lot. In my experience, we were trained to do the best we could with safety procedures. But some incidents can negate any safety procedure you can imagine.

Reply to
hls

A woman and her twin sister (Jeri) who used to live next door to me a few years ago, Jeri works offshore for Shell.They are originially from Natchez.One of their boyfriends (from San Antonio, I think he bought some land in Texas and he moved back to Texas) works offshore for Shell too.

(Jeri) cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Well, Shell is a good company. So is BP, and the company which supplied the blow out preventer (BOP) Cameron, I think, is well known and very competent, as is the company which ran the drilling fluid program (MI-SWACO).

These are, arguably, some of the best companies in the world. Something went wrong. We will eventually know what happened.

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:iIKdnaKt9bzP8kLWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You wouldn't think so reading the news. Between pipeline corrosion, refinery deaths, and the latest well leak, BP seems to have a pretty lousy record.

And it's funny how a large percentage of the "wrong" seems to be happening to BP.

BP seems to be too busy polishing their "Beyond Petroleum" environut image to pay attention to running the company properly.

Reply to
Tegger

Well, BP HAS changed over the years. I have worked with them., given presentations to them at their main site in Sunbury, England, etc etc, and I believe them to be concerned and very intelligent.

When this sort of thing happens, every slipshod news commentator in the world wants to stir up the kettle.

Surely, there was an accident..... I dont know whose fault it was. It could lie along several lines.

When an accident like this happens in high technology environs, there are several possibilities...One is that an act of God happened, and that things just went to shit.

Another is that one or another or several contractors just screwed up and a catastrophe happened.

Just hold on. The answer will come to light.

Reply to
hls

BP and Shell has had some problems before concerning offshore oil rigs in the North Sea.BP and Shell and who knows which other oil company/companies? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Atomic Engines.

I still say I want a nuclear power battery car, and a nuclear battery to run my house. cuhulin, Atom Ant

Reply to
cuhulin

I agree. I have spent about 1/2 my life in the oil industry. Much of it on rigs as a cementer or well site geologist, onshore, offshore, and on barges. People that have not worked in this industry cannot understand the immensity, the complexity, and the danger.

Reply to
Paul

Absolutely. I took it very seriously. You know, when some of my friends have been killed, it was just the intersection of a ton of really slim possibilities that no one could have foreseen, and taken one on one would not have been fatal. A momentary lapse in judgement can be one of those intersecting vectors.

Reply to
hls

Paul wrote in news:hrob9n$qjl$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that trouble seems to follow some companies around more closely than others. That's not an industry characteristic, but one specific to particular companies.

Reply to
Tegger

"hls" wrote in news:5aednSuf1PcVlH3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

BP workers seem to suffer from "momentary lapses" much more often than, say, ExxonMobil's workers. Strange, that.

BP's people get killed; the environuts are OK with BP. ExxonMobil's people don't get killed; the environuts hate Exxon with a passion. Go figure.

Reply to
Tegger

On the web, Oil Seeps

Oil naturally seeping up from under the water off the coast of california, in the Gulf of Mexico, and wherever else.Who knows how long that has been going on? Only The Shadow knows. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

There are rigs off Newfoundland now (it's called Hybernia) - made by the exact same company that made the failed one in the Gulf and a professor at Memorial University (in St. Johns) is adamant that these things *will* happen over and over unless proper safety measures are taken. We have the same problem up here because we have our own version of Scrub in a minority Govt. up here and no opposition with any attachments whatsoever.

At one point our federal Government bought out The Canadian divisions of BP and Fina here and formed a national run oil company to keep the industry in check. The majority of voting shares is now no longer in Government hands due to the other party getting in since then.

Reply to
chuckcar

"hls" wrote in news:RrudnX3Pq9_A-ELWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Like having no backup for the pipe breaking at the sea floor for example. You're dead wrong there, quite probably due to company misinformation, but still wrong.

Reply to
chuckcar

Let's find out what happened before we come to conclusions.

Reply to
hls

University professors are notorious for such pronouncements.

What does he want them to do, exactly? It is easy to say that safety measures are inadequate after the fact.

Most major oil companies have their pick of PhDs. Sometimes they actually listen to them. (And sometimes not)

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:uYCdnZV2KLBB5X3WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well, they *do* have 5 years education of such that other people don't. That what an authority is by definition.

Redundancy obviously.

Several facts. Exon Valdez and multiple platform accidents show this to be true.

Take your pick:

Three biologists and one with several degrees.

Can't find a cv for the third, but his name and Memorial University will get it.

The only person who seems to be saying it *can't* happen is the conservative premier. Hardly surprising.

Reply to
chuckcar