'Brake Pad' alert on computer

My Astra Sport 1996 keeps telling me there is something wrong with my brake pads. Even when i changed the pads, the on board computer still kept alerting me and it has done so ever since.

Could it be my discs????

Advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Pete London

Maybe disconnect the battery, to clear the error message.

Reply to
Christian

what exactly is the warning, I've never heard of a car that monitors brakepads????

thanks

Reply to
Punch

Porsche and BMW have been using brake pad wear sensors for years, my '86 535i had them and so does my '88 944. What they consist of (at least on the Krautwagens) is just a loop of wire encased in plastic that fits into a hole in the brake pad, when the pad wears to a certain point the rotor wears on the plastic and eventually the wire. When the wire breaks, it lights the light on the dash. What this means is that you need to do one of two things:

1) replace the wear sensors

2) jumper them out to turn off the light, but then you have to periodically inspect your pads to make sure the rivets don't hit the rotors and trash them.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

In the 80's:

Chrysler products used wear sensors that had a dash warning lamp also.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks for all the advice. I'll give it all a go.

Pete

Reply to
Pete London

Why not?

3) use epoxy to replace the worn away plastic and reuse the sensor.
Reply to
Brent P

thanks, I didn't know this

Reply to
Punch

Because the wire has worn away too.. If you could solder a new wire then epoxy it, then I think that would work. I'd find it difficult to solder to the wire, I'm imagining it as being pretty tiny.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang