Brake Problems 97 Chrysler Sebring

Hello, If you have had problems with the brakes on a 97 Chrysler Sebring (or other Chrysler automobiles) please post. My brakes have failed many times when braking at high speeds and the dealership keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with my brakes / can't duplicate the problem / nothing wrong. I KNOW there is something wrong, I just don't know what is wrong or how to fix it. I have had my car in for this problem ever since I bought it from the original owner. He also complained of the same problem when he had it. We finally paid $$$$$$ to have rotors, pads, etc replaced which did absolutely NOTHING for the original problem! Susanne snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com

Reply to
Susanne Bradshaw

Mike Behnke

Uh, let's take a different approach. What exactly do you mean by 'failed', and how can one do this 'many times' without dying?

Serious question.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Reply to
mic canic

I think there is as well, the problem is behind the wheel.

Automotive brakes are not designed to repetitively stop an automobile traveling at 70Mph and brought to 0Mph in 50 feet, over and over and over. You need to stop speeding between the traffic lights, or buy a real sports car that has giant, drilled rotors and pads that are designed to bring the 50 year olds with mid-life crises to a shuddering halt between the traffic lights on the downtown streets. I've seen some of the real sports cars manage to go from 0-80Mph in a half a city block, then stop back down to 0Mph at the end of the block. The Sebring isn't one of those kind of cars, and you pushing it isn't going to make it so.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I have a 97 Sebring LXI coupe and have had no problems. I drive at or above posted highway speeds and on occaision need to really use the brakes hard and never had even a hint of fade or loss of braking. I don't think there is an inherent problem with the LXI brakes. As a matter of fact I have owned GM products for quite a while and I will admit that the brakes on this Sebring are far better than any GM brakes I've owned.

Susanne Bradshaw wrote:

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly

The sebring coupe is a "DSM" car and mostly mistubishi, so your experiance with it is not relevant to the convertable. The convertable is much closer related to the cloud cars, ie stratus, breeze.

And the first generation sebring convertables (1996-2000) are know to have poor brakes.

Lots of people have seen improvment in brake performance when using high quality aftermarket rotors and pads (like raybestos, wagner, PFC, EBC etc) over OEM parts. See

for testemonials.

/Pelle

Reply to
Pelle

The original post did not specify which of the Sebrings was involved. If my crystal ball had not been out for repairs I would have been able to know she was talking about the convertible and wouldn't have bothered posting a reply.