Bumper Paint Restoration

I have a 2006 Ford Taurus white in color; I am not exactly certain what the real name of the white color is, but it is probably a standard white.

The rear bumper had been "flexed" and paint came off the crease (I think that's the name for the "bend" or "fold" in the bumper).

The front bumper has been "scraped" against a black wrought-iron fence in an ill-advised wide U-turn (what too-big cars really have a tight turning radius?).

This is a borrowed car, and I need to have these touched up before the return to the owner.

Can I do this myself? If so, what paint/product?

Is this a job for an auto detail place? I intend on paying for a detail anyway, so should this be added to the job, assuming the detail center really knows what it's doing?

Or is this a job for a dealership?

Thanks.

Reply to
Five By Five

Neither. It's a job for a body shop.

The scrape may buff out, in which case the detail shop should be able to take care of that for you, but if you have cracked paint on a flexible bumper, it needs to be completely repainted, and that requires that it be sprayed. There needs to be a flex agent added to the paint otherwise the first time someone kisses it, it'll crack worse than it is now.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Is the car under warranty? I'd be asking the dealer if th front bumper part is covered. It should have flexable paint on a flexable bumper.

Reply to
zzyzzx