CA Gas: Summer=lower HP?

Today I noticed the old 4 banger that previously had trouble going over the Grapevine to Los Angeles via I-5 (dropped it to 4th gear and revved it out) really had no trouble at all. Seemed like it had another 10-15hp as it climbed it in 5th gear at about 10mph over limit. Only difference was winter gas and maybe the cooler temperatures and high humidity. I understand either the summer/winter gas are reformulated (one is oxygenated and maybe reformed) but the striking HP difference made me wonder.

Any ideas?

BP~

Reply to
B. Peg

I would suspect it's mostly due to the lower temperatures then changes in the gas although "winter" gas, if made with ethanol, will have less power then winter gas made with MTBE or summer gas.

Reply to
AZGuy