car won't start

I think I broke my car.

I have a 1986 ford diesel escort.

it was 22 degrees F.

I tried starting it, and I think I may have cranked it too long.

I smelt something burning, and now I get no volts, the lights don't turn on.

thanks

Mike

Reply to
mike

Time for a new car.

Reply to
Paul »

Escort diesel... man you don't see many of those.

Check your battery cables for melted insulation. Also, you can have your starter tested to see if it's bad.

Reply to
Clem

Sounds electrical. Start at the battery and work your way down the starting system till you find the problem.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Q: Car won't start? A: Check Gas Check Air Check Spark Check Compression Check Timing

If it is missing any of the top five above; then it won't start.

One by one, make sure you have a 14:1 air:gas ratio and that the spark occurs at the correct time in the compression stroke.

Alora

Reply to
Alora Duncan