Cabin Blower - Excessive Vibration on High Speed Settings?

2003 Dodge Stratus...in the shop tonight for the fix tomorrow. But this has happened with my 1989 Dakota, 1997 Caravan and 1997 Neon.

Eventually _something_ gets caught up in the cabin blower fan, creates an apparent out-of-balance condition so that the dash vibrates quite excessively (along with associated loud vibration noise) when the blower speed is set for one of the higher-speed settings. I don't remember having this problem years ago. Anyone know why this is happening now? Anyone else had this happen?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Yeah - insulation and / or sound deadening material finally fragments and gets sucked into the squirrel cage and unbalances everything. Cure is to remove the motor/fan assembly and manually clean it out. Reassemble, all should be fine. This is a zero-dollar-cost repair U can do yourself, except it looks like this particular case is probably a warranty repair..

Dave Head

Reply to
Dave Head

Many years ago, I removed the heater blower on a MB 280 SE because of a vibration. It's about a 3 day job. The cause of the vibration was an illegal cigarette that had rolled down a defroster duct and caught in the fan.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Yea, warranty is covering on this one. Wasn't quite time yet, but getting the 6K service while it's in there too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

It was a faulty blower motor in this case...or so the dealer said. Warranty covered it.

Reply to
James C. Reeves