1999 Buick Century - Low Blower fan speed don't work - High Works

1999 Buick Century

My blower fan - fan that blows air inside the car heat & AC - The blower fan does NOT work for Low. Only works when I turn the knob all the way to highest.

Checked fuses, there are two fuses, one for Low Blower and one High Blower. Both work.

Any recommendation on what else to check?

Could the control dial knob be a possibility? What else to look for?

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Don't know about your specific car, but I've seen blower switches that were resistors that slowed the blower down for all positions but full on. If some positions and all slower speeds are out, check the resistor on the switch between the working position and the non-working position.

Reply to
Mike Y

The "resistor pack" is usually seperate from the switch and is usually located under the dash on the passanger side, and yes, it is usually the problem. Cheers

Reply to
weird

Let me go one step further out on a limb. My Dodge van had a bad resistor pack when I bought it used. I replaced it, but it soon failed again. Turns out that the fan motor itself can be the cause for the pack to fail. Motor may intermittently draw too much current, although not enough to blow a fuse, which can provoke the failure.

Reply to
HLS

All of the ones I have seen go out have been from corrosion of the lands because the OEM failed to coat the cart. Replacement's have had an epoxy coating on the card. Also if the car has a cabin filter that hasn't been replaced the air flow may be low causing it to heat up and keeping moist. Another cause could be a blocked condensation drain keeping water in the housing. No matter what the cause the resistor pack is shot.

Reply to
Woody

Likely true. A new one may fix it for a long time, but if you get into a short lifetime issue on these, you need to look a little deeper.

Reply to
HLS

time to replace the blower motor, the oil felts are dry.

Reply to
erness.wild

Fan is fine. You need to replace the resistor card down by the blower. This is a common problem'

Reply to
Woody