Cadillac Eldorado Has Bad Leveller Pump. Alternatives?

Hello:

I have a 1989 Cadillac Eldorado with auto-leveller in the back, which consists of a pump and two air shocks. I don't really want to pay over $300.00 for a leveller pump for this car, but would rather find a nice, inexpensive work-around. The car sags a bit in the caboose, as I imagine it is used to a little boost from the air shocks. My goal is to level the car, so I'm guessing that I will need air shocks to accomplish that goal (vs. replacing them with standard shocks).

Air shocks for this car are $118 apiece, and since I only paid $1500.00 for the car, I"m trying not to spend the same amount on parts in the first month of ownership ;). Could I find a couple of cheaper generic air shocks and do some kind of retrofit? Can I just pump the shocks up with a standard air pump and leave them at that level? I'm kind of a newbie to air shocks--done lots of hobbyist car work, but never messed with air shocks.

How else might I cheaply level the car, if not with air shocks?

Thanks!

Steven

Reply to
Steven C.

Kind of a no win situation here... Your car uses air struts in the rear. Chances are good that the air struts developed leaks causing the compressor to run more it was designed to run trying to keep the rear end up. Compressor fails shortly thereafter.

You can install rear air struts (Monroe makes them from $69 each)and a central air fill valve then just pump them up when need be. You loose the auto level feature but it works fairly well. I did that on my '95 Fleetwood and have to add some air about every six months.

You do not need a spring compressor to replace those struts but unless you are better than me you will need a four wheel alignment after you are done.

Using standard shocks isn't really an option as the springs were designed to support the back of the car with the assistance of the air shocks. Without the air shocks you get a bouncy soft ride that is unacceptable even in the cushy Cadillac.

On the bright side though.. the air struts for '93 to '95 cars are about $800 each so at least you can be happy that you don't have those!

You can also

Reply to
Steve B.

Steve:

Do you know if Monroe air shocks are available for the Cadillac at this price? These parts are proving hard to find at any price, and I haven't found the air schocks this cheap yet. Also, what type of central valve would this be and where could I find one? I presume it has a Schrader valve on one side, and two hose outlets coming out the side?

Thanks!

Steven C

Reply to
Steven C.

Any Parts America distributor can get them for you or you can get them online from Parts America. Advance Auto Parts is the retailer in my area that carries them. I know that these work as I have put them on the Eldorado's sister.

The air shocks come with the tubing and Schroeder valve kit to hook them up or if they don't you can get one from the parts store for around $10. Just some plastic line and a T connector with a schraeder valve. I was going to mount it permanently behind the license plate but since it only seems to need air every six months I still have it stuffed up above the frame.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B.

Sometimes it's just a leak in the air lines. Caddy has a splice kit to repair this.

Reply to
NickySantoro