Cadillac repairs advise requested

Wanted some advise on this costly repair.

The vehicle is a 1997 Cadillac Deville with 48,180 actual mileage with a Norstar V8 Engine.

The vehicle has been stored for the Winter and now the ABS light and traction light is on.

The tech scanned for codes and found C1243 for pump motor malfunction. Tech tested and found the brake pressure modulator valve seized and caused the Electronic Brake module to short out.

Tech recommends replacing the brake pressure modulator valve and the electronic brake control module. estimate of 2300.00 + tax.

Thanks Don

Reply to
Don

whats the question? how did the tech come to that conclusion? did he do any diagnostics? Check fuses? Try and make pump run using scan tool? We need more info.

Reply to
jfrancis311

Tech works at a dealership? My advice would be to find a good mechanic who will source one from a salvage yard and install for you. Turn that $2300 repair in to a $500 repair. Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

It was a dealership so we have this information provided. Was told all the testing was done and this is the result. For a vehicle of that year $2300.00 is a lot of money and looking for less expensive solutions. Thanks Don

Reply to
Don

Is the brake pressure modulator valve easily accessible? I know some parts are very difficult and dangerous to change on ABS. Will look at area salvage yards to see what we can find. Thanks Don

Reply to
Don

Don wrote: D>Wanted some advise on this costly repair. D> D>The vehicle is a 1997 Cadillac Deville with 48,180 actual mileage with D>a Norstar V8 Engine. D> D>The vehicle has been stored for the Winter and now the ABS light and D>traction light is on. D> D>The tech scanned for codes and found C1243 for pump motor D>malfunction. Tech tested and found the brake pressure modulator valve D>seized and caused the Electronic Brake module to short out. D> D>Tech recommends replacing the brake pressure modulator valve and the D>electronic brake control module. estimate of 2300.00 + tax. D> D>Thanks D>Don

First, if the E-ABS/TCS Module fails it should throw an error code. You do not rally have to have a scan tool to check the codes. Go to this site:

where you can find all the info you need to get the codes and their meaning for your Caddy.

The BPMV is expensive (~$1,200 new/dealer); however, you can get it for half of that from gmpartsdirect.com or keep scanning eBay, they show up from time to time. Buying a used one is always a pig-in-a-poke, though.

Meanwhile you can drive it, just be aware that no ABS or TC.

Good luck!

Reply to
Bela

D> D>Is the brake pressure modulator valve easily accessible? I know some D>parts are very difficult and dangerous to change on ABS. Will look at D>area salvage yards to see what we can find. D>Thanks D>Don

Okay, before you go and get a new or used BPMV, clean the pump motor ground cable connection. The whole assembly is under the lower rad hose, below the air cleaner box/ECM.

First, clear the codes (see the web site I've given in my earlier post), then clean the contacts (the ground cable is directly screwed to the motor housing) and see if the code(s)/warning lights come back. A faulty ground (due to corrosion while in storage) can and will result in symptoms like what you have.

Reply to
Bela

Thanks for all the advise. I will check the ground, remove it clean it and make sure there is a good connection. This I am sure was not done during testing. I guess it was surprising to me that the brake pressure modulator valve seizing caused the Electronic Brake module to short out. Seems like there would be some type of "fusing" to prevent this from happening. Hope it does turn out to be a poorly grounded system from storage. Thanks again Don

Reply to
Don