wheel balancing, glue strips to aluminum wheelframe

how can the black glue strip be removed safely from an aluminum wheel inner frame when replaced during a local trip to have high speed wheel balance
done?
the shops simply remove the weights but leave the old glue pad/pack to the inner frame and it looks bad
scraping is going to damage the aluminum surface? dremel tool? heat?

Rubbing with your finger works on the more rubbery stuff, WD40 is good for this, there's a product called goo-gone, and you can also get plastic scrapers. You could also cut a small piece of wood into a 'scraper'.
Dave
If WD40 doesn't do it try mineral spirits.

I have painted AL wheels and I use wheel cleaner and a brush with the wheel off the car. If that doesn't work I resort to mequiar's heavy cut cleaner or in a couple cases very careful use of a razor blade once it was softened up by wheel cleaner. Scraping with a plastic tool to cut gaps in it and then more wheel cleaner helps some.
I usually leave it wait until I am switching winter and summer tires to do it.