careful following that F150

by Tom Krisher, AP Auto Writer

DETROIT (AP) ? U.S. safety regulators are investigating a fuel tank problem that could affect more than 2.7 million Ford F-150 pickup trucks.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday that the steel straps holding up the truck's gas tank can rust and break, possibly causing a fuel spill and fire. No injuries have been reported from the possible defect.

The agency is looking into trucks from the 1997 through 2001 model years. NHTSA's investigations often lead to recalls.

NHTSA began looking at the fuel tank problem last year after it received

32 complaints. NHTSA and Ford have now received 243 reports of the tanks falling. In two incidents, a fire started when the fuel tank fell. One of the fires destroyed the pickup, while the other extinguished itself.

NHTSA said there was fuel leakage in 95 of the reported incidents. Nine reported sparks when the tank dropped on the road, which would increase the likelihood of a fire.

Ford said it's cooperating with the investigation. Company spokesman Wes Sherwood said owners with questions should contact their dealers.

Reply to
bob urz

Shrug. Been a problem on old trucks in salt country for decades. Almost always starts with visible leaks and gas odor when parked, so shame on any owner that doesn't notice and take corrective measures. Mebbe they have plastic tanks now, so no early symptoms.

Reply to
aemeijers

I saw a news item on TV news about six hours ago about fuel pumps which are mounted inside fuel tanks.They said don't let the fuel level get below the pick up tube (whatever) of the fuel pump.It can cost anywhere from about $300.00 to over $1,000 for repair.They said don't let the fuel level get below one quarter of a tank. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

bob urz wrote in news:iqa928$nk$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I heard that Ray LaHood said that Ford owners should park their trucks indefinitely, as they are clearly unsafe to drive.

Reply to
Tegger

Gee they are only about 10 years out of date. This was a problem on the EARLY FI vehicles that only had a pump hanging in the tank. On most vehicles from 1995 and up are made with a fuel pump module. The module holds a reservoir of fuel around the pump from the return line. This fuel cools the pump and helps keep it alive. On the early units without the module the pump gets cooled by the fuel going through it and some by the fuel around it, a low tank level means less fuel around the pump to cool it. Also if you let them run out of fuel more than a couple times the pump can overheat and fail.

Reply to
Steve W.

Gee you mean that the steel straps under a 10-15 year old vehicle could be rusty?? Those straps that are right near the STEEL brake lines that are also rusting?? Under the cab and box that are probably full of rust holes with the cab mounts that are falling....

Reply to
Steve W.

Ray LaHood said Ford trucks should be parked indefinitely? I wonder what kind of vehicle he owns? If it isn't a Ford, he should buy a Ford. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Ford trucks are, according to owners, some of the best on the American market..

In tank fuel pumps need cooling and lubrication, which they get from fuel. GM, Ford, all of them have about the same engineering problems.

In general, it is NOT a problem. What makes it a problem is the super high prices of the fuel pump modules in recent vehicles.

Reply to
hls

Not to mention the difficulty of getting to the damn things.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Amen!

Reply to
hls

I put a new fuel pump on my 1983 Dodge van (318 engine) a few months ago.It was a relativley easy job.That is why I prefer my old clunkers. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

There is something to be said for simplicity in mechanical systems.

Reply to
hls

On my F150 you just remove the 6 bolts that hold the bed to the frame, release one electrical conenctor and lift the bed off. Once that is out of the way, replacing the pump is easy.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

F 150 pickup truck, moving the bed out of the way isn't a one man job, is it? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It is if you have a chain hoist.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Or back it up under a tree limb and use a come a long. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

By the time they get old enough to be in my driveway, you still need air tools for the big bolts - or else a BIG breaker bar.

nate

Reply to
N8N