Chevy 1971 K20 Auxiliary Gas Tank

Hi,

My pickup has a 20 gallon tank behind the seat. Seems like I am always at the gas station. I can only find one tank to add under the bed. Unfortunately it would displace the class III hitch and the spare. Can someone recommend a tank for under the bed and forward of the rear axle?

Thanks,

Vic

1971 Chevrolet K20 3/4 ton pickup Fleetside long bed 4WD 350 Manual Transmission - Muncie 465 Transfer case - New Process 205
Reply to
asdf

Go dual fuel and add a big propane tank in the bed. Or engineer a dual fuel cell installation ("fuel cell" as in a racing rubber bag, not an electrical plant as on Apollo CSM) on either side of the driveshaft with a fill pump off the main tank. (Hoop the driveshaft while you are at it, lest it fail, and flail the cells.)

Of course, you could go the hillbilly way, and buy a diesel fuel bed mount tank, and ignore all those sissy safety warnings about not using it for gas or plumbing it into the vehicle. Around here that's the popular route.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

I got a 72 GMC 3/4T 4x4, 4sp when it was a year old and it had factory dual tanks and provisions for a third tank. The aux tank held about 16 gallons and fit between the frame and the bed side in front of rear axle. Mine was on driver side but I had seen them on both sides. You might find one in a old bone yard. If hand a valve on floor between seat and door for tank selection and a switch/knob on dash to swithc the gauge amoug tanks. It was all OEM too. It was great om trips because I would burn the cab tank dry and you could hear it start to tin can when the fuel was gone and pump was sucking air and you could switch tanks and never miss a beat.

Reply to
TheSnoMan