car trunk won't stay closed

Something got messed up on my car trunk locking mechanism. It's a 95 Ford Taurus.

The trunk will stay closed but you can pull the trunk open with a little force. No matter how hard you close it, it just isn't locking around the locking post. I tried adjusting the locking post up and down and sideways and every other way but it just doesn't change anything.

But if I remove the locking post and push it into the lock on the trunk, it locks solid. So something has to do with the trunk coming down into closed position. Yes, I tried getting into the trunk and closing it but I could not see any obstruction.

Could be that the trunk has always been this way. But I'd like to fix it if possible.

Reply to
Strr3

man, your taking a risk of getting trapped by going in the trunk like that. Obviosly a part is bent or a part is wrong were the adjustments arent working. You could go to a junk yard and get both pieces and go from there, or maybe examine a working one.

my .02

Reply to
ed

I think you will need to bend the latch slightly so it engages. Take another close look (not from inside the trunk) and see what parts contact each other. It is probably the loop or "receiver" post that you can bend with a large plier or hammer.

Reply to
Al Bundy