Chevy Body Swap

Hello all,

I've got this idea I've been kicking around in my head for a while and I want to submit it for a reality check. See, I've got this 1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 (police package) sitting around. It was my much- loved daily driver until Hurricane Katrina dropped half a tree on it. Since then it's just been sitting waiting for me to figure out something to do with it. However, the body damage is fairly serious. One of the D-pillars is crumpled and just about every panel is dented or creased at least a little here and there. However, not long before the storm I put a fair bit of money into a T56 transmission swap...I replaced the automatic tranny with an F-body six speed with a kit from BBHP

Also, I've still fairly attached to the car and would like to get it back on the road, but the cost of the body work is prohibitive. I had an appraisal that came in at over $8,000. While I'm quite comfortable doing major mechanical work, bodywork is more of an art that I have neither the experience nor the tools to seriously attempt.

Everyone says that the B-body frame upon which my car is built dates back to the downsizing in 1977. Theoretically I can put my superior late-model frame complete with LT1 engine, T56 tranny, and disc brake rear-end under any B-body from '77 on up. That's one of the joys of BOF construction, right? For some reason I have always prefered the basic boxy look of the 1980's. I've picked out the 1977-1979 two-door "aerocoupe" Impala/Caprice as my favorite B-body. I also like the Oldsmobiles and Buicks and such, but kind of want to keep it Chevy. One benefit would be the cars are much lighter...I've seen figures like 3,400 lbs for those cars versus 4,200 lbs for my '94. With the 6- speed and fuel injected LT1 I'm imagining getting decent fuel economy...not to mention the performance benefits from dropping 800 pounds.

So, my "plan" is find a good, straight '77-79 two-door body in a junkyard. Perhaps one wrecked in the front. Shouldn't be too expensive. Drop that on my '94 frame. I'd also like to put on a late '80s front end (they are a bit smaller and cleaner looking). Part out what's left over. Using straight body panels I would be fairly comfortable doing a basic paint job myself.

The question is, has anyone attempted something like this? Are there any "gotcha's" that I've overlooked? Getting the clutch pedal shouldn't be impossible, the kit I used came with a bolt-in pedal bracket and hydraulic arrangement that should swap over fairly easily. Will the '94 fuel tank fit easily to the older body?

Also, I'm not sure about registering it. I'd prefer registering it as a '79 (for example) to get the antique tags, but am not sure how complicated dealing with a "rebuilt" title would be.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"

Not being primarily a GM guy, I can't tell you exactly what all you might run into on the mechanical side. I do know that GM typically made it VERY easy to swap drivelines around between cars (engine mounts, etc.) with the notable exception being that Chevy used a different transmission bolt pattern than Buick, Olds, Pontiac, and Cadillac. No issue there for you since you already have your T56 and LT-1 paired up. It just comes down to getting the T-56 into the transmission tunnel, transmission mount positioned correctly and getting a clutch linked up.

On the registration side, as far as I know the legal "soul" of the car goes with whatever piece carries the VIN plate, which is the body itself. Generally you stay quite legal if you swap entire bodies with VIN plate, it becomes questionable if you swap just a structure carrying the VIN plate, and outright illegal if you swap the VIN plate itself. So putting a complete '79 body on an 94 frame and drivetrain results in a car that is legally a 79, assuming that the 79 still carries its original unmolested VIN plate. That's why its harder to (legally...) swap an old carbureted drivetrain into a modern car, because it now has to meet the emissions test for the modern year.

Things would be a whole lot easier if the car you buy for the older body comes with a clean title and registration. "Salvage" title processes vary a lot from state to state, and I've never messed with them. I know it can get pretty complicated sometimes. But it sure seems like it wouldn't be hard to find a clean-titled Monte Carlo, Regal, or Cutlass around. They only made about a bazillion of them, and they've held up really well corrosion-wise over the years.

Reply to
Steve

Steve wrote in news:oM2dneGoMM422GrVnZ2dnUVZ_q snipped-for-privacy@texas.net:

The part of a car which is the "car" itself is the part which has the VIN stamped into it. Everything else is replaceable while still retaining the car's original legal identity. It is this fact which allows Cars Inc. to sell brand-new 1955-57 Chevrolet bodies, registerable as 1955-57 vehicles. They reuse only the firewall from donor cars, as that's the part with the VIN.

It is federally illegal to install an engine/emissions package from a donor vehicle that is older than the recipient vehicle. Going the other way is legal provided the entire emissions system from the donor makes its way into the recipient. But if your state has no smog check, who'd know you had done this, either way?

Reply to
Tegger

Emissions tests are not an issue where I live, though I would prefer to keep things mostly legal to avoid problems down the road.

Well, the midsize Monte/Regal/Cutlass/etc are G-body cars, but yeah the thought still holds. It seems clear the way to go would be viewing it as a "restoration" for the '79 car with my '94 parts rather than a "restoration" for the '94 with a '79 body. I suppose the key would be finding the right car. It would probably be easier to start with a complete '79, but I would be tempted to save money by trying to find only a body and then piecing everything together.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"

That's interesting, I didn't know they were doing that. A similar idea to what people were doing with Volkswagen Beetles while they were still being made in Mexico...buy a brand new VW in Mexico that can't be registered in the US, find a rotten old Beetle registered in the US, and replace everything with new parts except what the VIN plate is riveted to. They could then sell the new car in the US as a '69 (for example) and might even sell the old car in Mexico as a 2001.

I don't have to worry about smog checks down here in Mississippi, but yeah the resulting creation would have to be a '79 as far as the law is concerned...

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"

Just look for a complete car that's reaching end-of-life mechanically. That way you get all the bits you might need to make something work between the two and don't take a cost hit of buying a perfectly good car.

Now that drive-train of yours if it could be brought to chicago would be perfect for my brother's '82 olds ;)

Reply to
Brent P

well, I think you have the right idea, the key would be if you keep a '79 frame, you'll still want to swap over all the suspension pieces that interchange, because the real appeal of the 9C1 package is the suspension tuning...

nate

Reply to
N8N

I think that car was featured in Grassroots Motorsports, although it wasn't a large feature. Looked interesting, at least.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks for clueing me in to that mag...the website has quite a bit of good reading. I couldn't find that Chevy story but still worthwhile.

Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"