Chrysler Technology.

Chrysler Corporation Technology was pretty advanced back in the day. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Yes, in days gone by they were indeed a leader in technology. My dad used to work at Chrysler plant in Detroit. Engineers at other companies used to tour plant often. Of course, as I pursued my own engineering career, I learned that this is quite common in many industries.

I think in spite of the MB merger/takeover they do not lead as much as they used to, though they are by no means backward.

I must say, however, that after being a Mopar customer for some time, I have been taken aback by their decision to drop subcompacts (Neon) and "replace" it with an SUV (the Nitro). I will be looking Japanese or Asian for my next car. I dearly love my Neon, certainly among the best, if not the best, car I have owned. It has 120,000 miles and I know it will not last forever. But I have no need for an SUV. With the price of gas these days I figure it was a stupid decision for Chrysler to make.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I love their technology of putting the icm and the voltage regulator into the pcm. This makes pcm's pretty scarce in the junkyards around here. Also seems to make 50% of the aftermarket rebuilds we get to be NFG out of the box. The 2.7 engine is a real piece of work. Those are also pretty scarce in the yards. Expensive too. One of the things I liked about mopar was the evap pump. It tested the system in the same way that it had to seal. I've seem too many systems that leaked under vacuum but not pressure. They fail the monitor but don't contribute to any emissions. Mopar, of course, changed their system to the same crap that everyone else is using.

Reply to
Steve Austin

A buddy of mine,his mom bought a new Neon,either when the Neon cars first came on the market or soon after.He does the maintnance on her car as far as regularly changing the oil and oil filter,things like that are concerned.I don't know how many miles she has on her Neon,she mostly only uses the car to go shopping.As far as I know,her Neon has been a very good car.It is a solid white color car.Spic and span clean inside and out. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

No news flash there. Chrysler has always been ahead of the curve in engineering design, which is why Chrysler engines have such a great reputation. Its mostly QA and QC that have varied drastically over the years. Chrysler has had very few complete engineering disasters like the early A-604 transmission, and even that was mainly due to rushing to production early rather than it being a bad fundamental idea. Compare that to GM with things like the V-8-6-4(-0), the HT4100, the TH250, the TH700R4 (early version) Chevy engines in Oldmobiles without telling buyers, the Oldsmodiesel, the Vega aluminum engine, intake gaskets on the Chevy 60-degree v6 family, etc. etc. etc.......

Reply to
Steve