Cleaning An Engine

What's the recommended procedure for cleaning a computer controlled engine? In my case it will be a 1.9L Escort W/ EFI. I just picked up the car, and it's definately got some oil leaks. I'd like to clean it up so I can find where it is leaking from. Would it be considered safe if I-

1) Drive down to the local coin-op DIY car wash on a rainy day (won't be busy).

2) Prop the hood until the engine is only warm to the touch (~30 minutes)

3) Using saran-wrap/zipties/tape, cover the Alternator, Distributor, PCV valve/inlet, air inlet (if exposed), and any dipstick tubes. Fwiw, it is only the sides of the block and the transmission bellhousing that are dirty, and that is where I'll concentrate on- no blasting water around the engine compartment all willy-nilly.

4) Spray down the grimy block and transmission case with Simple Green and let sit for 10-15 minutes.

5) use the "Engine Cleaner" selection in the car wash, but ONLY in the low-pressure mode (IOW, use the gentle stream, and don't pull the trigger)

6) Use the Rinse selection in the car wash, but (once again) do NOT use the pressure.

7) Immediately uncover everything I covered and start the engine, allowing it to come up to operating temp.

This is pretty much what I did on all my older (non-computer controlled) cars with great success and no troubles. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

I had one of my engines STEAM CLEANED by a Hotsy Totsy machine from the back of a pick up truck. It melted the slime off like there was no tomorrow, and I was left with a like-new engine, not a speck of anything on it in the way of grime, grease, or dirt. STEAM.

I don't know if they still are in business. It only cost me $20 and they did the job on the spot in a parking lot.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

You should be safe if you leave the engine running, and avoid directly blasting the distributor (depending on year), exaust manifold, belts, or alternator. If you make a mistake and get a secondary ignition component wet with it running, there will be a telltale temporary misfire condition. If you do that with the engine off, you may be waiting a long time for the vehicle to restart -or- you will be removing the cap/wires etc to dry them. Soak the really bad spots with a spray engine degreaser first and wait 5 minutes before power rinsing.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

By *blast*, I assume you DON'T mean pulling the trigger on the wand and hitting it with high pressure. I'm not so sure that I can avoid overspraying the exhaust manifold even with it in 'gentle stream' mode. I'd hate to crack the manifold.

Thanks

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

Personally, I would NOT do this with the engine running. Thermal shocking the manifold is one good reason. The risk of ingesting water in the intake plumbing is another. Be REAL careful of some modern cars' intake plumbing. They have low spots where ingested water can pool at idle, then the first time you open the throttle to drive away, they suck down a big slug, hydro-lock, and bend a connecting rod. No, I have NOT "been there, done that" but I have an acquaintance who has.

Also, don't fear the high-pressure spray. Use it, but ALWAYS hold the wand 10-12 inches back when using it. The fine spray from a high-pressure wand loses speed very fast- right at the tip of the wand it can cut wood (and in this case, potentially blow a gasket out of a seam and put water inside an engine), but 10" away you can blast your hand with it and it just feels like sticking your hand out the window driving 60 in a rain shower. That is about perfect for rinsing down an engine.

Reply to
Steve

Actually I do, but as always it all boils down to common sense. A spritz here and there of tiny water droplets isn't going to hurt your exaust manifold. Anyway the manifold is quite a bit cooler at idle than during normal driving conditions, and *much* less susceptible to thermal shock than you would think. This is the way I have done it for over a decade without incident. Common sense I guess is the key; practice it and you'll be alright whichever method you choose.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish