V8 Engine Cleaning and parts

Construction of my coffee table (Scrap V8) has been underway for a week. The bloke I got it from wanted rid of it, and it used oil and water like they were going out of fashion.

I'm already fed up off trying to clean the engine to something half decent looking that will not ruin the lounge carpet.

Once I had stripped the engine I jetwashed it and steamed it. This seemed to get rid of most of the gunge. I have now spent all week trying Paraffin, Fairy Liquid, Jif (or whatever it is called nowadays), Brillo pads and also Mr Muscle oven cleaner, but I still cant get rid of the ground in stuff. has anyone got any idea what will bring it up nice and clean and looking like new?

Does anyone want any of this before I put it on ebay?

Pair v8 cast iron manifolds Pair rocker covers Pair 9.35:1 EFi heads, in need of TLC. They are sludged and gungy and the head gaskets had gone. EFi manifold and injection unit.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Grit blast it!!!!

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Have you thought of having it dipped in a cleaning tank? Years ago at REME the guys all brought their wives ovenware in on a regular basis to get the really bad stuff off (including the non-stick surface).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Oi, Lee_D!. Dont you want some manifolds?

Reply to
Tom Woods

find someone with a solvent tank like "Trike" Try Cloro Ethane ????? Works a treat they use it to de-grease before powder coating..

Or a large ultra sonic parts cleaner

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Yep indeedeey I do.. they Rangie ones Simon.. ?

If so how much spondoolees inc postage is one looking for?

Are the EFi ones any different? like will they give me problems finding down pipes that fit or are they the same as the early ones?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Probably sand blasting, its not like it matters if something gets slight surface pitting.

Thinking laterally, it might be worth asking a car alloy wheel refurbishamnet company how they clean up the old alloys, or in fact if they would clean the engine block for you.

Muddy

Reply to
Alan Mudd

PMS. Plastic Media Stripping. Plastic media in a high pressure water jet, that's how I used to clean blocks when I had access to the kit, brought them up like brand new, so it did. There's also a couple of chemicals that do a good job, there's one of the Chromates that you mix with water, brush on, count to 20 then rinse. Comes in a powder/crystal format, used in the aerospace industry but I'm damned if I can remember its name, although it is very similar stuff to Alocrom I think. Then there's good old caustic soda. If you have a pressure washer, get a blasting attachment for it and some pms grit. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

we had to do some welding on a v8 block once and we cleaned it with carbon remover. It got it up like new (also disolves skin!). Richard

Reply to
Richard

Lo Simon

I used a wire brush attached to a drill to clean my V8 coffee table, (now finished, awaiting some glass) Finished off with a polishing mop and compound also attached to a drill.

Are they alloy ones ? with ROVER stamped on ?

Reply to
Bobtailed Bob

Yes they are.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Will compare them to my carbed V8 to see what the difference is. Will let you know tomorrow.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Great stuff :) what do you want for them including P+P to Huddersfield ?

golcarbob at btinternet dot com

Reply to
Bobtailed Bob

Find your local engine reconditioners and ask them if they can nut blast it for you. It's like sand blasting but uses crushed walnut shells.

Manifold doesn't happen to include the idle control valve does it?

How much do you want? I could pick up as I'm only about 15 miles from Peterborough (Raunds).

Cheers

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Seems to be fairly complete from what I can see. Mail me at peterboroughfourxfour at btopenworld dor com and change the words to number and the usual with the rest.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs