Considering buying a new F350 in the next few weeks...

I'm considering buying a new F350 in the next few weeks, F350, diesel,

4x4, DRW, probably a manual transmission.

New 2009 or perhaps leftover 2008 model. Is there anything in particular to watch out for on these models?

Thanks,

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Other than the problems with them throwing flames out the tailpipes and problems with failing injectors. They seem to be OK.

Reply to
Steve W.

That first item seems more of a benefit than a problem...

At any rate, I don't seem to have many other vehicle options to look at. GM is not in the running since I blacklisted them a number of years ago. Dodge seems to not be in the running either since until recently they didn't have a crew cab, and the one they now have seems to only be available with a short bed. That seems to leave only Ford in the running.

Reply to
Pete C.

Beware of the "non-greaseable" front end and that fact the the electronics of a Ford truck are total shit.

Unfortunately, if you want longevity, a GM truck has a grease-able front end and an Allison transmission.

Reply to
Anumber1

The 350 is a cute truck. Consider this one like my son's:

1D10T

Cute, however beyond the price issue, I expect loading my truck camper would present issues with loading height and jack travel, and even if money was no object I wouldn't go beyond an F550 as I want to stick to the LDT body style, not MDT.

Reply to
Pete C.

Many of our customers are making the switch to the 6.8 liter.... The 6.4 is nearly $9000 as an option with the 5R110 and fuel consumption (empty) just ain't no screaming shit....

The fuel systems are delicate on the 6.4... we are seeing injector concerns and there is a recall on injectors in some 2008 trucks going on right now. All the same, I would recommend watching for a climbing engine oil level carefully... be aware that "some" gain in crankcase level is considered normal. Careful adherence to fuel filter change schedule is important.

There have been concerns with radiators but these appear to have been addressed.

We've seen many problems with the tensioner for the FEAD belt on the 08s... I am unsure if the 09s are having similar problems or if the tensioner has been updated.

While we are on the subject of belts.... the AC is run by a smaller, second belt... it is a bear to change on a hoist... I wonder what it would be like laying on the ground.... If you work in a lot of mud, the dirt will get into the AC compressor clutch and cause the pulley to bind solid.... The belt will "go away" soon after that.... again - I said a lot of mud - like in the Alberta oil patch...

Having said that, the trucks have plenty of power and are very quiet.

Extreme downside... cab removal is highly recommended for many repair operations.....

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the info (and others who have responded), I'm making a bunch of notes and expect to visit a couple local dealers Tuesday to poke around and perhaps do a couple test drives, in particular to see if I can tolerate the automatic, since it seems to come along with some other options I want.

Time is my biggest problem, I need to get the new truck in a few weeks. I'd probably be happier if I had time to order one from the commercial side with the more flexible options list, but it seems I'll have to hope to find what I want on the lot somewhere within 500 miles or so.

Of course, the new truck will get a good workout a week or two after I get it on a fully loaded and towing 3,400 mile round trip.

Thanks,

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

If you want to save money, I would look for a used one. I bet a lot of contractors and other folks have ones from the last few model years going for cheap.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeah that cab removal routine is going to be fun for some folks.

What is the current status on the E series Diesels? One of the companies we are looking at for a new rescue is telling us that they are having major problems with them, again.

Personally I'm hoping for a medium duty rig that we can load everything on. The catch there is that many of those rigs are on hold due to the new emissions laws. I know that Mercedes is WAY behind on meeting the new regs. One of the local schools spec'd 5 new buses that have been on hold for 11 months due to a lack of engines. Now Cummins is saying they are thinking of bowing out of the mid sized diesel market and fire apparatus entirely. Something to do with an EPA idle variance test that cannot be met and the new standards on particulate matter.

Reply to
Steve W.

If you are looking for diesel power, the E-series still ships with the 6.0

Our local and regional ambulance are using a different service provider (read that as cheaper) so I can't speak with much authority regarding the current crop of 6.0s. Ford still appears to be the bus of choice and, of our local EMS providers, none have approached us for warranty repairs.

We are a light duty dealer and don't handle anything bigger than F550.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yeah, ever since Ford and Navistar introduced the smaller displacement Powerstrokes (6.0 and 6.5L) they have SUCKED. The old 7.3L was almost as bulletproof as a Cummins, but the 6.0 and 6.5 have all kinds of problems. Google for a while and be appalled. Blown head gaskets, stretched/broken head bolts, TONS of problems with the particulate emissions systems, injector failures.... its a mess.

I would even look at a Duramax over a Powerstroke right now, and I'm pretty anti-GM most of the time. Of course the first choice is the Cummins/Dodge if you can get the options you want. The Cummins seems to have been a lot less affected by the new soot control devices than the others. Its not immune to problems, but its the best by far. And from what I hear the current transmissions offered with the Cummins are holding up as well or better than the down-scaled Allison in the Duramax.

I removed the Ford NG, because I didn't want to come off as insulting. I'm fairly pro-Ford, but the Powerstroke just is in a horrible state right now.

Reply to
Steve

The current seem to be 6.4 and 6.8, other reports seem to indicate that they are fine.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've been hearing that the 6.8 is "OK... maybe- not enough time on it yet" but the 6.4 (I mis-typed it as '6.5' before) still seems to be doing all the bad things the 6.0 did (overheating, blowing gaskets, injector failures). Apparently it's not just a Ford problem. Navistar sells it as the "Maxxforce 7" engine, and they don't have a great rep either. I think a lot of people would like to get the T444E back.

Reply to
Steve

in article 49e1ec94$0$11646$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com, Pete C. at snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote on 4/12/09 6:29 AM:

diesel ... great choice ... easy 400k miles durability.

easy care ... glow plugs ... fuel/oil filters ... change the oil until you have get baby some new shoes.

i would go for the Auto Transmission... all of the new ones are 4 speed.

Also .. think about getting used.

Prices are great in that market ...

new gets you a warrenty if you are in to hard service.

When Transmission fluid gets changed ... think about going Chevy .. Synthetic ATF. It is almost as good as Red Line .. and lots cheaper.

Took my Autotrans 400 miles to adjust to the S/ATF .. and runs so great with bio-diesel smooothing out the engine as well.

Up notches the performance profile big time and dollar wise given fuel prices.

sumbuddie hopes that helps

:?

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane

5 speed auto actually.

It will be doing a 3,400mi RT fully loaded and towing a few weeks after I get it.

I've been doing synthetic on most everything for years. I expect the new truck will get a few hundred miles on whatever oil comes in it and I'll do a change with synthetic a few days before the big trip. I don't think I'll change ATF that early though.

Reply to
Pete C.