coolant level in 07 impala

My 02 s10 has rad cap on the rad and overflow hose located there which runs to the bottle. If I remove the cap (cold) there is usuallly coolant right there near the tube outlet. My 07 impala has the rad filler cap over on the engine block , again with a hose there to the bottle. If I remove the cap (cold) should I expect to see coolant near the outlet to the hose? In my case I could put my finger down without touching fluid. The fluid was also quite low in the bottle. I called the dealer and they said to drop by and they would do a quick check. Just the service advisor looked at it and he added coolant, to the line I thought he said. He told me to watch for low coolant warning and temp. No problem after I drove it awhile so I thought I'd check again. Coolant was hot so I did not remove cap. Coolant was below the line on bottle. Funny though because bottle has another little molded compartment in front where the hose is located. In there the coolant looks higher than in bottle? And when I look in bottle the bottom is covered in crappy sludge. I just had the system serviced in the past year, maybe as recent as July /aug. I'll call the dealer but I was wondering whether I should expect the coolant level, cold, tobe right up to the filler cap near the outlet hose. If not , wouldn't an air gap prevent it from sucking back any overflow from the bottle as it cooled? Of course the big air gap might mean none goes to bottle either? Or maybe it's still low on coolant?

Reply to
38racing

Those systems were designed to keep coolant in the engine and air out. It helps control corrosion in the engine.

As the engine heats up, the coolant should expand and force any excess to the overflow tank, including air. And when the liquid coolant cools in the engine, liquid alone should be sucked back into the engine.

Your engine should have coolant essentially right up to the cap. Apparently something is not working as it should, and that sludge in your tank is evidence of air or corrosive gas entering the system.

The corrosive gas can be air, drawn in from the outside OR it might be exhaust gas entering the engine from a leaking gasket or a crack.

Reply to
hls

My '06 (3.4 engine) had the water pump fail at a very low mileage - around 40K miles if I remember correctly. So you might want to stick an eyeball on there and make sure that there's no evidence of seepage from the weep hole.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sure, water can leak out, and air can be sucked in, a leaking water pump.

Reply to
hls