The Green Car of Today

The green car of today is the turbo-diesel. Now the current turbo- diesels don't rattle and don't puff smoke. They don't have a large amount of horsepower but they do have a large amount of torque and that really better suits the way that we drive.

And so politicians and upper-economic-class-persons can show that they are serious about concerns of global warming by buying the 2011 Mercedes-Benz E-350 BlueTEC tubo-diesel. Now this car is efficient for one reason of being a sedan rather than an SUV because an SUV is just pushing air. Then the car is efficient for the second reason of being a turbo-diesel and getting a fuel mileage of 22/33 MPG. The weight of the car is surprising at 234 pounds more than a standard E-350.

Another turbo-diesel is the 2011 VW Jetta TDI. And here the fuel mileage is 30/42 MPG.

Not convinced ? Well, peak torque of these tubo-diesel cars occurs at about 2500 RPM and that's an easy car to drive.

Reply to
PolicySpy

Torque?? Are you gonna use it to pull a plow??

Reply to
The PHANTOM

Average MPG of Ford Model T cars was about 25 MPG. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Blame it on the politicians. wearethegovtandweareheretohelpyou. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Listening to a local radio talk show.The talk show host guy said there isn't enough electricity in the grid to keep those electric cars charged up, most of that electricity has to come from fossil fuels.There is more natural gas in the ground than we will ever use.Fed govt wants everybody to buy efficent home appliances, but they want you to buy electric cars.

I believe the talk show host is right. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Maybe we need cars that use radio fuel, after all if something isn't done we might run out of oil by 1940 or so:

Roger Blake

I say screw the Federal government, I'm not willing to buy either.

Reply to
Roger Blake

You're right that the infrastructure wasn't built to handle the power requirements that will be needed for a nation of electric cars, then again, when Ford came out with the Model T, there wasn't a whole bunch of gas stations around either.

You're probably right that most of the electricity will initially have to come from burning fossil fuels, however, it's probably more efficient to go this route than to use fossil fuels to provide energy to refine the gasoline then use more fossil fuels to move the gas to your location. My guess is that you'd save a whole crapload of fossil fuel by using it to turn electric motors rather than burning it in engines. In the end, the sum total is what counts.

Personally, I could use a short range electric car today - the fact that I can avoid having to ever go to a gas station again would be a big plus.

Reply to
dsi1