Mazda 626 cooling system not pressurized?

The cooling system on my 1998 626 V6 has the overflow port in the coolant filler neck BELOW the seal in the pressurized cap. It seems that the cooling system cannot be pressurized.

What am I missing?

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Reiche

Either you're not perceiving the configuration accurately, or you're using the wrong cap. Most likely the former, frankly.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

just had a look at my son's '93 MX6 V6... the tubing to the coolant reservoir very definitely exits above the spring-loaded seal, but below the rubber seal which is under the lip of the cap itself. our Haynes manual covers both 626 and MX6 from 93 thru 98, so I imagine this area is most likely very similar to the 98.

BTW, I didn't realize the MX6 had an aluminum rad core... still nice and clean after all these salty Canadian winters...

Pete Breemhaar Georgetown, Ontario '94 BRG

Reply to
Pete Breemhaar

I was looking in the wrong place / had the wrong cap. The cap on the block-mounted filler neck allows the coolant to escape freely into the overflow (like I described), the cap on the overflow is spring-loaded, pressurized. When the engine heats up, the whole system including the overflow is pressurized. When 15psi is reached, the overflow reservoir discharges on the ground. I changed the coolant recently and mixed up the caps. thanks, Mike

Reply to
Michael Reiche